Crap Sky Ride Circuit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lordloveaduck

This years ride was very poor. The roads were to narrow and people were to impatiant, would have been better getting off and walking. As for the sleepers in the road with the leathel edges to narrow tyres:evil: The council and Skye were more concerned about appeasing residents,shops and traffic than making it a fun day out and motivating people to get on there bikes.

The only good thing was the gift bag from British Cycling:thumbsup:. The event it's self was pants. Left when the ride hit near five ways.

Another forum member saw somebody falling off their bike because of the gradient. On his next lap he saw them being taken away in an ambulance. Hopefully Sky will learn from this.

a gradient in Birmingham centre so steep that someone falls off while attempting it..??

OP
OP
Chris S

Chris S

Legendary Member
The route wasn't in the city centre, it was about two to four miles south of it. Part of it was in a hilly social housing estate (the land wouldn't have neen used by a private developer) and most of the rest was on the University campus.

I also saw somebody fall off, they seemed to be using too high a gear. When they pushed on the pedal the bike stayed still and they almost went over the handlebars.

They chose a route that was completely unsuitable for beginners.

there is (in my opinion, at least) a difference between someone who is a 'beginner' and someone who 'cannot ride a bike properly' - realistically, you can only legislate for the former.....

OP
OP
Chris S

Chris S

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 1992977, member: 45"]The route was bad because the council are so desperate to keep the shoppers going to the bullring. Keep the city centre open at all costs. Very disappointing.[/quote]

Apparently the route was changed because the old one along Pershore Road is going to be used for a half-marathon in September. The council didn't want to inconvenience local residents twice within a month. Hopefully they will come up with a better solution next year.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
This is the response from SKYRIDE I got when I filled in their feedback form:

Hello James,
Thank you for your message.
The route was decided upon by Birmingham City Council, and a lot of factors come into play; road works, emergency service accessibility and so forth. As Birmingham has previously hosted a Sky Ride, the Council wanted to refresh the route. We're sorry you weren't happy with it, and hopefully you were still able to enjoy some of the day. We do appreciate you taking the time to pass on your feedback and we'll be sure to take it onboard.
Wishing you all the best.
Kind regards,
Sky and British Cycling

So basically it's all down to the council. If they didn't want to close the pershore road, there are plenty of other roads and parks in Birmingham they could have used.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I thought similarly of the Milton Keynes Sky Ride, where it rolls down to the station and back up. Its no serious gradient (1km @ 2.5% a few bits @ 6% according to strava), but it was enough to have people, especially families with young children walking their bikes up the hill every lap I did. The downhill side wasnt so bad, despite speedy children but it ran into a hairpin turn which people were struggling to slow for and take without riding into eachother as they bunched up, but it seemed okay.

It was hard to judge the MK ride though, because not many people turned out despite what Sky claimed, which in some ways was good, there were no queues at any of the stalls you could get straight onto try the 'bent trikes and silly clown bikes etc they had. Unfortunately they put it on the same weekend as my favourite F1 race, so i cant stay much past midday.

Top Bottom