1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crappy bikes offered as free prizes.

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by betty swollocks, 18 Jan 2008.

1. betty swollocks

betty swollocks large member

My fitness club is offering a one size fits all 'Universal' Mountain Bike to any member who introduces a friend who subsequently signs up for a full year's membership.
    It's utter crap: I've seen it. With its brakes full on, I wheeled it round the display area. You couldn't pay me to accept it!
    Things that concern me:-
    it's unsafe and unreliable
    it will give any newcomer to cycling (and let's face it, only a newcomer would accept/choose such a prize) and give them such a terrible experience as to put them off cycling for life
    there is no first service or subsequent servicing being offered by the club
    this is clearly a scheme dreamed up by a person or people who clearly have no interest in bicycles or cycling. This is remiss at any time, but all the more so when being offered by a fitness club.

i had a rant at the manager about it which got met with an uncomprehending stare. I then tried to make an analogy which he would understand. I tried to liken the bike to a car, but I couldn't think of a make or model horrible enough.
    Sigh.

2. wafflycat

wafflycat New Member

Print him off a copy of this and get him to read it...

http://www.southcoastbikes.co.uk/Articles.asp?article=NO_BSO

3. OP
    OP
    betty swollocks

betty swollocks large member

Thanks waffly: that's just the sort of ammo I need.

4. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

5. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

Liked the article wafflycat, will save it maybe sometime use it to good affect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

That is a good article. Calmly argued.