Crash Scene Investigaters last night

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I caught the last 20 mins of this yesterday ... basically as the kids flicked channels I noticed a bent bike so started watching.

It was interesting how much care they put into reconstructing the scene of the accident, to prove where the crash took place (on or off the carriageway - A38 3 lanes moving 70 mph!!!), between a lorry and cyclist. It included inspecting the bike for mechanical failure, only problem noted was the extremely worn back tyre - but that was discounted as it wasn't wet. And also looking at what clothes he was wearing - reflective jacket and trying to reconstruct his rear light to see if he was visible - though they eventually used CCTV to prove that.

Outcome: cyclist lived, although he had to have a kidney transplant, and the lorry driver admitted dangerous driving.

But it made me think about what might be taken into consideration in an accident.

I noticed that they didn't check the pedal reflectors, and isn't there a theory that bald/tread-free tyres are better than treaded on paved surfaces (wet or dry) for bicycles?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bald tyres - if designed to be bald then fine, but if badly worn the cyclist could have had a blow out.

The cops checked all CCTV coverage in the area, and the cyclist could clearly be seen - checking he was reflective and had lights on.

cannondale boy

Über Member
Funny enough i watched the last 20 odd minutes too. The driver of the lorry handed in his resignation and got a two year ban. I was surprised the cyclist survived the crash after looking at the bike which was pretty much scrap.

I suppose there is a lesson to be learnt hear...just to make sure you are SEEN properly. You never know when the police will make an investigation like this, and it might be your fault for not being visible!

Origamist

Legendary Member
I have cycled along the A38 between Plymouth and Plympton (where both collisions took place) and the speeds are like that of a motorway - 80mph +. It is not a route I would want to commute on. The cyclist was incredibly fortunate to survive the impact.

We used to TT further along the A38 and that could be "interesting" too.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
I have to say that the bald spots would most like have been caused when the lorry hit him and stopped his wheel spinning... or at least that's what I thought.

Glad they didn't apportion any blame to the cyclist, and that he lived!!

Interesting programme, that one.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Sh4rkyBloke said:
I have to say that the bald spots would most like have been caused when the lorry hit him and stopped his wheel spinning... or at least that's what I thought.

It was interesting to see the level of importance (conducting a basic test at the station etc) that the police ascribed to his yello Gill jacket and its reflective piping / Gill logo.

Sh4rkyBloke said:

I think the bald tyre looked as if it had been used to near its maximum life span, but I did notice that the sidewall was slashed/torn (probably/possibly) matching where the (rear) wheel had an allmighty kink in it - no doubt where the lorry had hit?

Top Bottom