Crazy Flight prices

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don’t think it unrealistic to expect them not to fly so frequently. We didn’t take a single flight when growing up as kids. Not a single family flight.

Flying regularly, outside of work, is a relatively recent phenomenon and by no means inevitable for the majority of us.
... and in fact, regular flights FOR WORK have only ever been common for a small minority of UK citizens.

dodgy

We decided that we will never fly again several years ago and have kept to it. Now with the pandemic, it's just solidified that decision.
There's enough variety of culture, food, scenery a bicycle or train ride away.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I unfortunately need a car in order to live where I do and I can see no prospect of moving in my remaining lifetime.

The question is whether you need to personally own a car and for what purposes. For instance if 10 islanders have cars, do all 10 need to own one , or would 5 cars between the 10 work? A car spends upwards of 95% of its time just sitting there.

Everyone needs to collect a piano from their poorly great-aunt's house, at least once a month.
This would explain all the large private cars parked along the roads I travel.

But anyway, we'll agree you have to own a car all your ilfe; I thought this was about flying? Hands-up who *needs* to fly? What can only be delivered to your sick relative in a distant land by hand?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Everyone needs to collect a piano from their poorly great-aunt's house, at least once a month.
This would explain all the large private cars parked along the roads I travel.

But anyway, we'll agree you have to own a car all your ilfe; I thought this was about flying? Hands-up who *needs* to fly? What can only be delivered to your sick relative in a distant land by hand?

Well what about the frail and disabled? They need to fly!

It seems odd that as employee holiday time entitlements in the Western world (except for Americans) and much of the rest of the world have increased and possibilities of flexible working (for some, at least) have become more available, we see the desire to travel faster and faster, when in reality we should be welcoming slower travel, enjoying and engaging with the journey.

And is the speedy travel always faster, and leisurely travel always slower?
As I wrote once on a website
"I arrived in Bangkok at just before 2pm today. But even with my delaying for a cup of good coffee at the station in Bangkok, I was checking into my hotel at 2.45pm - I wouldn't be checking into a city-centre hotel 45 minutes after landing at Bangkok international airport, would I!?"
Sometimes, of course, the flight over the ocean or the inhospitable country is, although not actually needed, advantageous to say the very least. It would have taken me my entire holiday allowance, and more, of both time and money, to merely reach Singapore and start my trundling round SE Asia, if I'd had to rely on trains, buses and ships.

It seems odd that as employee holiday time entitlements in the Western world (except for Americans) and much of the rest of the world have increased and possibilities of flexible working (for some, at least) have become more available, we see the desire to travel faster and faster, when in reality we should be welcoming slower travel, enjoying and engaging with the journey.

And is the speedy travel always faster, and leisurely travel always slower?
As I wrote once on a website
"I arrived in Bangkok at just before 2pm today. But even with my delaying for a cup of good coffee at the station in Bangkok, I was checking into my hotel at 2.45pm - I wouldn't be checking into a city-centre hotel 45 minutes after landing at Bangkok international airport, would I!?"
Sometimes, of course, the flight over the ocean or the inhospitable country is, although not actually needed, advantageous to say the very least. It would have taken me my entire holiday allowance, and more, of both time and money, to merely reach Singapore and start my trundling round SE Asia, if I'd had to rely on trains, buses and ships.

In 1889, Nelly Bly managed to get right round the world in 72 days with just a hold-all for her fresh knickers and some cash.

It'd be interesting to see someone try that today.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I would be happy to introduce a 2 return flight limit per annum. After which you get taxed progressively more.
Not sure why there should be an allowance of 2 return flights per annum? Drop that and you stand a chance of reducing travel.

Duty on aviation fuel would be a start.

But if we want to reduce flying by all income groups then some progressive element of taxation is needed.
Maybe VAT on tickets; because 20% on an economy class ticket is significantly less than 20% on a premium/upper/business/1st class ticket.

I have a friend who used to work in Big Pharma. His diary would read something like: Monday - Washington, Tuesday - Frankfurt, Thursday- London, Saturday - Melbourne. All year round.

He would fly to, say, Heathrow, hold a meeting for an hour or two with his multinational colleagues (who would also fly in from all over the world) to discuss such mundanities as what colour the pill box should be, and then fly home for dinner. He never set foot out of the airport.

:ohmy:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
The question is whether you need to personally own a car and for what purposes. For instance if 10 islanders have cars, do all 10 need to own one , or would 5 cars between the 10 work? A car spends upwards of 95% of its time just sitting there.
I need a car for transport to shop, medical centre, hospital appointments, ferry etc. Sharing in my case would not be an option as I cannot walk very far and it has to be within reachable distance. There is a bus service but not practicable as buses to the local hospital are full with tourists all summer and a 15 minute appointment would take most of a day with probably a taxi to get from the hospital to the bus terminal and at the start to and from my house if a taxi is available. A taxi from home to the hospital would be about £100 one way. Tourist prices based on up to 6 passengers but the same for singles.
I live at the top of a steep hill so the trike is no help for shopping unless I get motor assist on it but not in bad weather. The local surgery nearly a mile away could be possible but in a force 8 gale with rain or sleet not appealing.
Outwith the main town and larger villages houses are spread out with long distances between so car sharing would not work. In town it would be most likely that a car would be wanted by several people for the same occasion with differing time scales. Depending on weather with ferry cancellations it could lie in Craignure at the ferry terminal 21 miles away for two or three days.
Nice idea but I do not think a sharing scheme would work on a wide enough scale to make any difference.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Thing is it's not 'one size fits all' solutions for any of this.

We all have different needs because of work and life..

And stage of life etc.

Even the concept of 'love miles' eg travelling to see family has been spoken about for many years ..

Being conscious there are problems and various solutions, is a big step forward..

Finding ways to cooperate over workable solutions, rather than competing over who is more 'green' who has more needs etc etc.

Would be far more useful , than finger pointing, and halo burnishing

Top Bottom