Creak from head tube

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stuarttunstall

Hi

Been out on this beautiful sunny morning and noticed that my Scott Sub Cross 10 has a creak...

If stationary and you just start to turn the bars it creaks, but only at the very start.. turn further and it is quiet .. I put my ear right by the area were the forks ender the frame and you can certainly hear it from that junction ..

Any idea what this may be?

Stuart

Ajax Bay

Guru
Dry headset bearings

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

Thank you....

Right or wrong I did spray a very tiny amount of GT85 at the top and bottom, just been out and the creak seems to have gone so maybe muck in between, the roads are very dusty looking at the dust on the bike

Ajax Bay

Guru
When you have time, I think you need to slip the steerer tube out and smear grease liberally into the bearings (I don't think it's a sound idea to pick off the seal (then grease) and try to refit). Check what the bearings are so you can get a pair for 'the box'.
GT85: Short term - OK, but I don't think it's a good idea to spray that in there - it'll just dilute any grease there and then there'll be less.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Why not simply take it apart and learn how it all works? Very likely the bottom bearing is rusty especially if you ride the bike in the wet. There are plenty of videos on this and it's simple, all you need is some hex keys.

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

Why not simply take it apart and learn how it all works? Very likely the bottom bearing is rusty especially if you ride the bike in the wet. There are plenty of videos on this and it's simple, all you need is some hex keys.

I appreciate that bikes are very simple things, but I am not what you would call a confident person when it comes to things I am not sure about, plus I have limited tools... Not saying at some stage I will invest in the right stuff and have a go myself, just sooner the experts do it for me...

Do the cables go through the frame, if so a little squirt of oil just where they enter makes a difference, noise travels on bikes.

You may have "hit the nail on the head"... this morning I could still hear the creak, and when I grabbed hold of the cables at the entry points it went quieter or even stopped so I think that may be the culprit... I have sprayed them with some Muc Off bike protect so I will see how it sounds later...

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

Just been out, silent still so maybe it was the cable entry point seals rubbing the cable outer's ... See what its like when I go out in the morning :smile:

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

Been out this morning and it does seem that the creak was the cable entry points... Sprayed with Muc-Off Bike protect yesterday and no creak today.. :smile:

May spray a bit more later to make sure..

Thanks for the advice :smile:

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom