Creaking BB problem.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
Over the last couple of weeks my bike started creaking. It sounded like the creak from my seatpost. Greased it. Still creaking.

Pedals off, cleaned, greased and put back. Still creaking.

I then took apart the cranks and chainset cleaned it all, greased it and put it back together. Still creaking.

I then took out the BB, it was quite loose in the shell and I could unthread it with my fingers!

Cleaned the threads, greased and put it back in. Still creaking.

The BB is newish, say 1,500 miles and runs very smooth when turning it by hand.

While it was loose in there could it have damaged the shell somehow? Is this why it's still creaking?

Any ideas?

Quick longers - find the answer because I am plagued with this...I don't grease the taper spindle either, the chainring bolts are tight, I have all the tools and still the creak is there...:biggrin: It's not the shoes, it ain't nuffin - it's a blinkin' nuisance! Sometimes I think it is the side of the chain brushing against the chainring on its way around the circumference...a sort of 'clanky whirrrrr. :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You won't have damaged it as it's sealed / cartridge - even a slight movement will cause this noise though. I grease all my drive parts and don't get noises.

Other thing Aperitif is also check saddle rails, and maybe squirt some lube into where the rails intersect the saddle body, and the seat post clamp.

Evilcat

What fossyant said: lots of creaks seem to point to the BB area but it's often something else. I was being plagued by a creak that the LBS suggested was a worn BB: replaced it and creak still there. Replaced the saddle after a spot of diagnosis (I normally don't cycle much out of the saddle) and it has gone away.

EC

It could have damaged the shell, but it depends on how long you've been riding it like that. Creaks from the crankset area can also come from loose chainring bolts so have you checked those? Best thing I've come across to stop BB creaking is Royce Anti Shake. You're supposed to use it with Royce BBs to avoid the creak, but it works well with others too.

Well I'm jolly well going to try that fossy as it has got me stumped! Ta. The only reason I say about wierd chain rub is that the alu frame, under pressure of pedalling, flexes appreciably, slightly altering the in-line effect of sprockets and chainring. I know I had a mystery tick tick on occasions - which was the magnet snicking the pick-up on the front forks...bit too much fork / frame flexing allowed the components to have the briefest of encounters.
It's a lovely day for tinkering. :biggrin:

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Chain ring bolts are tight and this creak is pretty much constant, in or out of the saddle. Seems to be on the push stroke rather than the pull, mainly on the right hand side.

I'm going to strip it all again tomorrow at work and re-assemble.

Cod liver oil will put paid to your creaking joints, Ap!

S'funny! I get strange creaking sounds occasionally and without doing anything, they go! Don't know if it's anything to do with it being damp/dry! :biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Longers...remove the chain rings completely - even if bolts tight, clean the lot and refit..... that was one issue on my MTB last year..click click.... refitted everything...chain rings/bolts were last (despite being tight).....

It is incredibly annoying..... but often needs the lot removing and re-fitting..then it won't play up for years....

gbb

Legendary Member
The very very worst case scenario is a cracked frame where the downtube meets the BB. I was plagued by a creak, particually under pressure for several weeks. Couldnt work it out....until i upended the bike one day :evil:
Also, not so much a creak...but the wifes bike was a bugger for a few weeks, turned out to be the plastic disc between the cassette and the spokes. Rubbing under load on the spokes, till i cut it off :evil:

jimbut

Longers, what sort of shoes / cleats do you have ? I suppose everyone gets bothered by strange creaks while on the move and it can be nigh on impossible to determine exactly where it is coming from. A lot of cycling forums mention Look pedals and cleats developing squeaks when the cleat is about ready for replacing. Try a small drop of grease under the front and rear edges of your cleats and do a test run. Anything is worth trying ( spesh if it costs nuthin ). Hope it resolves.

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Took everything apart (again) and cleaned* and greased it all and had a lovely quiet ride home :rofl:

Still the occasional squeak but it's so much better :wacko:.

*really did a good job and paid attention to getting all the threads spotless and cleaning all the nooks and crannies.

Top Bottom