Creaking bottom bracket...What's the big fuss about ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
I wish creaks on bike were always that simple, the one on my Verenti has been bugging me most of the summer and I've still not totally cured it, it normally occurs when leaning hard into my stroke. :sad: New bottom bracket, shell faced, checked and tightened every fastening on the bike, twice, removed chainrings cleaned them and put them on tight, tried different pedals and shoes, tried new cleats, removed saddle and post lubed and retightened, checked mudguards, checked frame, forks and handle bars for damage or cracks, and all I've done is reduced the noise a bit, I'm now waiting for something to fail. :sad:
they can be so hard to find mine turned out to be the saddal rails moveing in the plastic moulding

D

Deleted member 1258

You didn't mention checking spokes at the cross over points or where the spokes enter the wheel rim (drop of oil on these points).

Thats about the only thing I haven't checked, I'll have a look at that at the weekend

2714887 said:
There is a fairly strong school of thought that the bottom bracket to crank interface should be left dry.

Agreed. One of my bikes is cursed with an FSA BB (which are a load of crap, but that's another story). It regularly develops a creak. If I take it apart, clean off the road gunk that's worked its way in, it's fine for a while. If I add grease, the creak is made far worse.

D

Deleted member 1258

they can be so hard to find mine turned out to be the saddal rails moveing in the plastic moulding

The worse one I had was many years ago when my commuter developed a rattle, over the following weeks I almost totally stripped and rebuilt the bike without finding a cause or curing it, then I noticed that if I wore a long sleeved top the rattle stopped, further investigation revealed the rattle to be the metal band of my watch rattling against the handle bar, I had chopped and flopped bars on the bike, the good thing was how well the bike was running when I'd finished. :wacko::blush:

D

Deleted member 1258

Silence! its golden, it is when its been a couple of months since you heard it, I did a steady 41 miles this afternoon and the bike was as quiet as a church mouse, made for a lovely ride, the only spoiler was a flat, the first this year on the Verenti, looked like a valve failure. the last thing I touched on the bike was the brake levers, the bolts were already tight but I gave them a quarter of a turn so they were bastard tight.

Top Bottom