Creaking bottom bracket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

straas

Matt
Hi,

It started off as a sort of a click on each pedal rotation about 200 miles back, only when putting pressure on the left crank whilst rotating. I took off the pedals, cleaned the threads and reinstalled and it went away for a few miles.

Started again and progressively got worse, with the click increasing to a creak. I've tried removing the left crank and then tightening the little black cap so there's no play, but the sound is still there and getting worse.
I also tried all the chainring bolts. One wouldn't come out - both sides span when using an allen key on the front, so I managed to hold the back in place by levering a spanner against it and tightening it up.

This morning it seemed to sound a little grindy aswell - I'll assume it's my bottom bracket?

I'm a bit confused about which to order - the chainset is all 105, the BB has bc1.37 x 24 stamped on it.
I have a BB removal tool, what other tools or equipment would I need to change the BB?

Thanks

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Depends what type of BB you have. Is it press fit, conventional square taper or hollowtech?
If the latter which sounds most likely you don't need anything else.

iluvmybike

Über Member
If it is a road bike then that's the right one (mtb one looks the same but slightly different width I think)

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Yes, it's a hollowtech. If as you say you have the removal tool nothing else is required apart from an Allen key for the non drive side crank. I assume you have the little plastic star tool too. Just make a note of what if any spacers are fitted.

You don't really need a torque wrench, just don't over tighten it.

Last edited:
You may not need to replace it. It is seldom that bearings cause creaks. However, remove the chain, spin the crank and hold your ear on the top tube so that you can listen to the bearings. A bad bearing says rrrrrrrrreplace me. A good bearing says shhhhhh leave me alone. The rumble of a bad bearing is unmistakable.
If the bearing is good, all you need to do is remove the BB, clean the threads, apply some copper compound and replace.

Top Bottom