Creaking/groaning noises from forks area - any thoughts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I've started hearing/feeling creaking/groaning noises from the front end of my Look 566. The only thing I could think of that could account for it would be headset issues, but when I turn the handlebars with no load on the bike all feels smooth - no 'grittiness' or juddering, which googling suggests to be indications of headset problems. I'd be a bit surprised if it was headset wear, TBH - tho' the bike is probably six or seven years old, it hasn't done any great mileage. Wondered if anyone might have any thoughts about what it might be, what might be worth checking out. Thanks for any handy hints and tips!

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks all. I think I'm going to start out by having a good look at that squeaks 'n rattles link, then probably go for a bit of a disassemble/re-grease and see where that leaves me. I'll report back on any progress...

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Do the rims have eyelets?
Um...I don't actually know what they are - and googling hasn't helped much. ('aluminum sleeves'? :wacko:) They're Fulcrums, if it helps - a 7 & a 5.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Well, I decided after looking at a couple of YT vids that this wasn't beyond me, and started unscrewing things. Oh.

Not a great pic, but I think you get the idea...

headset.jpg

Really quite grim. So I've taken it all apart, greased, and put it back together. Feels smooth, but then it did before. The real test will come when I ride it, which I can't do right now because I don't want to abandon the dog. But at worst I'll now know that any noise isn't down to the headset! :okay:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Um...I don't actually know what they are - and googling hasn't helped much. ('aluminum sleeves'? :wacko:) They're Fulcrums, if it helps - a 7 & a 5.
Steel rings reinforcing the rim where the spokes attach. Just like the eyelets on your lace-up shoes. They can sometimes creak insufferably when climbing - the temporary cure is a drop of oil on each one (wipe away the excess and keep it off the braking surface).

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Is this a euphemism?
1595072050639.png

Nope! (She's getting old now, and prone to anxiety if left alone... 😢)

Steel rings reinforcing the rim where the spokes attach. Just like the eyelets on your lace-up shoes. They can sometimes creak insufferably when climbing - the temporary cure is a drop of oil on each one (wipe away the excess and keep it off the braking surface).
Thanks. If the headset-grease hasn't worked, this'll be my next target.

Top Bottom