Creaky headset?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
Ok, so I have a creaking noise coming from somewhere on the bike, seems like it's towards the front forks/headset/stem/bars area :unsure:
Worse when I'm going uphill and pulling on the bars which leads me to think it's stem/headset related.

I slightly tightened the headset the other day, not too much but it's made no real difference, would taking it apart and re-greasing help?
If I do this how easy is it?

ps- the bike is not quite a year old so would I be best taking it back to the lbs or will they count creaks as normal wear and tear?

martint235

Dog on a bike
Overtightened it is my guess. Mine creaks if I overtighten it.

Maybe grit/dirt caught between bar and stem and steerer tube. Take a note of how your bars are currently set up and then strip down, clean thoroughly, rebuild. Should take about 10-20mins.

My saddle starts to creak after the 4-5th ride after every clean up. I take it off, clean it and I'm good to go.

martint235

Dog on a bike
It was creaking before though Martin, I thought this might help.
Only started a few weeks ago :scratch:
Take it apart then just making sure it all goes back the same way. Make sure the races are clean. If it's still creaking after that, it may need a new headset. It's not a Giant is it?

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
Take it apart then just making sure it all goes back the same way. Make sure the races are clean. If it's still creaking after that, it may need a new headset. It's not a Giant is it?
Maybe grit/dirt caught between bar and stem and steerer tube. Take a note of how your bars are currently set up and then strip down, clean thoroughly, rebuild. Should take about 10-20mins.

My saddle starts to creak after the 4-5th ride after every clean up. I take it off, clean it and I'm good to go.
Thanks, sounds like a good clean and grease then over the weekend, headsets are a part of the bike I have yet to tackle, the Secteur's has never been touched in nearly 3 years and 9000 miles.
This one is 9 months and 3000 miles old, it's a Tricross Martin.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Thanks, sounds like a good clean and grease then over the weekend, headsets are a part of the bike I have yet to tackle, the Secteur's has never been touched in nearly 3 years and 9000 miles.
This one is 9 months and 3000 miles old, it's a Tricross Martin.

It's very easy to take apart, clean, re-grease and put together.
Have a go Pots.

zeb

I had exactly the same issue a couple of weeks ago. My headset is semi-integrated (internal to the head tube, but with cups) with loose beads. Disassembling, cleaning regreasing and reassembling was easy and solved the issue completely.​
Beware if your headset uses loose beads not to lose them! You may consider replacing the beads (they are so cheap), and use a good grease (I use Finish Line with Teflon, great stuff) generously. Originally, there was just a thin oil, no wonder grit was able to enter the headset mechanism.​

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I had exactly the same issue a couple of weeks ago. My headset is semi-integrated (internal to the head tube, but with cups) with loose beads. Disassembling, cleaning regreasing and reassembling was easy and solved the issue completely.
Beware if your headset uses loose beads not to lose them! You may consider replacing the beads (they are so cheap), and use a good grease (I use Finish Line with Teflon, great stuff) generously. Originally, there was just a thin oil, no wonder grit was able to enter the headset mechanism.

Potsy's bike will have 2 set's of sealed bearings and a stop shim.
Just a case of dropping the forks, out with the bearings, clean, grease and replace.

zeb

Potsy's bike will have 2 set's of sealed bearings and a stop shim.
Just a case of dropping the forks, out with the bearings, clean, grease and replace.

You mean an internal (or integrated) bearing? A bit off topic, but Chris King made a paper saying this was not good because they had no cups, and that head tubes could not be machined with a precision as high as external or semi-integrated cups., is this correct? I have seen many high-end bikes like Trek using them anyway. Has the technology improved?

zeb

You mean the actual disc caliper?
This is getting more complicated ;)

When you unscrew the top cap of yoour fork (above the bars) then the fork can be pull down completely. If you are unsure, you should go to a LBS. Furthermore, they would easily identify the bearings you'll need. There are several headset types and sub-types..

Top Bottom