Creaky headset?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
This ^^^^ Make sure you give it a good clean, and grease it up. That was a regular issue on my fixed at first - never returned now.

What I'd do is remove bars and stem, remove spacers, top cap, compression ring. Drop out forks and remove bearings. Wipe all surfaces clean, regrease, bearings woun't need much attion if smooth, but clean the outer surface, slap grease on it and re assemble. Clean and re-grease bar/stem interface and steerer.
I think I'm going to re-do mine this weekend, not sure I put enough grease on the right parts tbh, the creaking noise has come back albeit reduced in frequency.
Wasn't sure exactly which parts to grease so didn't want to overdo it.

Is there a pic somewhere of the exact parts/places to grease?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I think I'm going to re-do mine this weekend, not sure I put enough grease on the right parts tbh, the creaking noise has come back albeit reduced in frequency.
Wasn't sure exactly which parts to grease so didn't want to overdo it.

Is there a pic somewhere of the exact parts/places to grease?

I did not go as far as Fossy (post # 30) but all creaks stopped. have you checked handlebar to stem nuts are tight? I had a loose one :wacko:, that caused a bit of creaking too.
Can you not just grease all movable parts of the stem, and wipe off excess once assembled?
Is there a danger of greasing too much?

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
I did not go as far as Fossy (post # 30) but all creaks stopped. have you checked handlebar to stem nuts are tight? I had a loose one :wacko:, that caused a bit of creaking too.
Can you not just grease all movable parts of the stem, and wipe off excess once assembled?
Is there a danger of greasing too much?
Stem bolts are fine Pat, will have a better go at it later, watched a good video earlier so am now fully aware of what I should be doing :thumbsup:
If it's still not right it can go back to the lbs and I'll get them to look at it as it's less than 12 months old, want to come with me? ;)

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Stem bolts are fine Pat, will have a better go at it later, watched a good video earlier so am now fully aware of what I should be doing :thumbsup:
If it's still not right it can go back to the lbs and I'll get them to look at it as it's less than 12 months old, want to come with me? ;)
Uhmm ....if the lbs in Manchester are like the ones in Glasgow me coming with you wouldn't do any good; here they lock themselves in the back shop when they see me, refuse to come out until I leave :biggrin:

Top Bottom