Creaky Noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had a new cassette fitted to my Giant TCR earlier in the month. Now it seems to have developed a really irritating creaky type noise when i seem to pedal on the drive side.

It seems to be worse when seated and for some reason if i spray water onto the cassette when I'm riding it seems to stop for a while.

Anyone got any clue what this could be?

Ive cleaned the whole drivetrain and related but it still seems to make the same noise.

Thanks

gbb

Legendary Member
Is your pie plate/spoke protector disc still fitted ?
In some circumstances that can rub against the spokes causing a noise thats annoying, took me blooming ages to find that on the wife's bike.
Cassette locking correctly tightened ?.. TBF unless it's loose enough for you to feel it or you have a tool...you may not be able to check.

Mobytek

#LBS - probs be the locking ring not tight enough thus sllowing slight movement.

The spray of water acts as a slight lubricant until it dries.

Tojo

Über Member
first thing as mentioned in above posts is the locking ring on the cassette is not probably not tight enough and a splined drive to to tighten it is usually about 3-5 quid depending on the retailer and to tighten it you'll not need a chain whip (only to take the cassette off), I would say though if you had it fitted by someone else, take it the rear wheel back an get them to check that it is the correct torque, the only other thing that would cause the same is maybe a cracked spacer, but I would doubt that....:thumbsup:

Top Bottom