Creating the write image?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fudgepanda

As a new cyclist I'm quite aware of how others may see me, and I don't mean as a fashion icon.

So I thought this recent magazine article may provoke a comment or two. I won't tell where the comments were published. Instead, let's see if anyone can work it out. References to "a plague" are connected to the column above this one.

MONKEY SEE, MONKEY DO.

Also in the news was the magnificent victory in the Tour de France by Bradley Wiggins. But just like the wet weather, Bradley's victory has triggered a plague of its own - but this time one that can be supported with hard evidence and seen in Lycra. That Sunday, the roads were suddenly packed out with Spandex Boys getting in everybody's way, and it's been like it ever since. The Olympic victories in the sport just made matters even worse - and it's obvious that there's a link, because you even see Spandex Girls now (they used to be rarer than hen's teeth). The mentality of this class of person is such that finding quiet roads to ride on would be too simple and sensible, as well as lacking the potential attention, so favoured routes include Clearways during rush hour, and complicated junctions where ten roads meet, and traffic lights only let a couple of cars through at at time in the direction the two wheelers will inevitably be going.

Naturally, the Bradley-wannabe in question will wobble their way to the front of queuing traffic in order to cause inconvenience to the maximum number of other road users. And when they move off - very slowly obviously because whatever goes on in their heads doesn't make it down their spinal columns and nerve pathways to their muscles - there will be the inevitable 'mechanical issue' to investigate. This is where they stop pedalling and look down at their feet, possibly even reaching down to attempt to repair the fault. I'm convinced that this is just for show - like when you see people (usually kids) waving in the streets at imaginary friends somewhere in the distance.

The offices of the rat race must be a sight to behold at the moment. As most people will know, 'serious' cyclists have no conscience of any kind - I've already mentioned getting in the way - and that also extends to their personal appearance. You see, not many people in this world can get away with wearing Lycra in any form at the best of times, and especially not when it covers most of their entire body (in fact, most of the current crop of newbies couldn't get away with wearing a tarpaulin in the dark). And I'm sure that the people who designed cycle crash helmets are having a laugh; I can imagine the original brainstorming session going: 'Ooh! And let's make them as bulky as possible so people look like prats!'

My ex-manager (who it has to be said had cemented his position as No.1 Prat in many other ways in the six years I was forced to work for him) used to come in dressed like this most mornings (and once, had to go home again because he'd forgotten that we had an important client coming in and he'd only stuffed 'casual' clothes in his back pack and then DROVE back to work), so I can imagine all the Bradley-wannabes striding through their offices every morning and every evening dressed like idiots, and imagining people are admiring them. I'd like to assure them, they're not.

The author does carry on managing to drag declining social standards into the equation as well. So my invitation to comment includes not only the content of the article but I'd be interested to see if anyone can guess/work out what market the magazine is aimed at.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Some kind of driving magazine based on the how they see the cyclist using a car for a meeting as some massive victory in the 'them and us' war. I had thought that the 2nd paragraph was written by a cyclist tongue in cheek though. :smile:

r80

Naturally, the Bradley-wannabe in question will wobble their way to the front of queuing traffic in order to cause inconvenience to the maximum number of other road users. And when they move off - very slowly obviously because whatever goes on in their heads doesn't make it down their spinal columns and nerve pathways to their muscles

It can't just be me who gets held up by cars at traffic lights, I find I can accelerate faster than the average 1.5 tonne straight 4 car easily.

OP
OP
F

fudgepanda

The magazine is car related, although the column is written by "Mr. Blogger". I'll be the first to admit that when prior to that before my Road to Damascus moment, well my Road to Damascus couple of years actually, that cyclists have wound me up. But a lot of attitude towards cyclists is down to an individual's perspective. I came to realise that the more cyclists (and motorcyclists) there are, the less cars there are for me to get stuck behind.

But what really wound me up was the people who this could influence; and who they in turn could influence. Because it's that last group who can either make our cycling life safer.....or more dangerous.

Any more guesses?

OP
OP
F

fudgepanda

AdiNEWS the magazine for driving instructors would be my uneducated and totally random guess :whistle:
Do I get a prize for guessing it was an article was called The Velo-Drone :biggrin:
You utter, utter b-b-b-blooming cyclist you. Bang on. Perhaps you can see why I was annoyed. Most learner drivers are young and easily influenced. The Instructor's attitude can easily become that of his pupils'.

Although I've often been annoyed by cyclists I realised it wasn't really down to what the two wheeler had done but more born out of frustration to the lack of movement of the general traffic flow. They just present an easy target for bile.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Perhaps you can see why I was annoyed. Most learner drivers are young and easily influenced. The Instructor's attitude can easily become that of his pupils'..

Agreed, a very disappointing and unreasonable article IMHO.
Out of curiosity are you an instructor, how did you become aware of the article

OP
OP
F

fudgepanda

Yes I am V. Although in fairness I've done very little in the last few years as I realised I needed to have a job that would give me some shelter as I got older and might have health problems. I've kept my licence up and will probably return to it when I retire. I'll need to as my pension provision is rubbish. I just have the odd pupil to help me keep my hand in.

The magazine comes free through the door every few months but I'm not a member of the organisation

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
4 people replied and 50% of them got it right. Fed up now. Are you both members of that sometimes august body of men and women?
No, it just rang a bell and I did a bit of googlery. But it really winds me up when people confuse the Highway Code with the Get Out Of My Way Code. Especially when it's advanced drivellers.

OP
OP
F

fudgepanda

There are all sorts of opinion formers in this country. Some of them are parents, some teachers, others boyfriend or girlfriend. And some are driving instructors. There are others, of course, but when it comes to driving they are the main ones. The attitude of an instructor can set a train of behaviour in motion, either good or bad. Ultimately they can't make someone a good driver; or a bad one if it comes to that. What they can do is teach them to a standard that is as high as they can make it within the current framework and after passing try and make sure the pupil takes a post test course such as Pass+. You can also talk the pupil through various situations with advice, procedure and planning. If you point out that the cyclist is as tall when he is riding as when he's walking, then if he hits a brick or large pothole and is thrown sideways into the road then you'll need to be 6' from him when you overtake. If you don't point out that the cyclist might swerve or have his chain snap while he's standing on the pedals that could also cause him, or her to veer into your path then it's really unlikely he will think about what might happen and therefore be unable to plan for it. You can plan for anything, but if you don't have the right attitude towards cyclists you probably won't think about him at all and won't have any qualms about parking in a cycle lane or looking over your shoulder when you open your door. Then there's the old "Looked but did not see" pulling out of a junction chestnut.

If you denegrate a paricular section of the road using public there's less chance that the person you are teaching to drive will hold them in high enough esteem to take enough care when they come into contact with them.

Top Bottom