Cree illumination

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
Its that time of year where I have to dig my lights out to complete a ride. My trusty SolarStorm has defied belief and lasted 5 years without fault. Not bad for an £18 light.

Have there been any developments on the cheap Chinese cree lights in the last 5 years. Efficiency, size, outputs etc? What are you all running?

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Its that time of year where I have to dig my lights out to complete a ride. My trusty SolarStorm has defied belief and lasted 5 years without fault. Not bad for an £18 light.

Have there been any developments on the cheap Chinese cree lights in the last 5 years. Efficiency, size, outputs etc? What are you all running?

Me too, I have two sets of X3, which I will be digging out very soon

The second one I bought last year and differed from my original, by the brand name on the top only

OP
OP
Jody

Jody

Stubborn git
I'm still gobsmacked at how good the light is and has been for the intial £18 outlay. Although I have a sperate waterproof battery holder, some decent cells and a digital charger.

Threevok

I'm still gobsmacked at how good the light is and has been for the intial £18 outlay. Although I have a sperate waterproof battery holder, some decent cells and a digital charger.

I have a cheap seat tube triangle bag that I keep both batteries in, along with a spare tube (to stop things rattling around)

I only bought the second light because I broke my first charger and it was cheaper to buy the whole set rather than the charger alone

Drago

Legendary Member
One of my lights is a 9 year old Chinese cree with a Fresnel lens, works as well as the day I paid £14 for it. Outlived my Hope light, which cost 9 times as much.

Batteries waterproofed by being slipped into a length of old inner tube, and cable tied between the seat rails where they're all but invisible.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Axa dynamo lights with decent lenses.

If anyone uses a cheap Chinese cree light without a decent lens to stop it dazzling oncoming road users, they deserve to have the battery pack as a suppository! :evil:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No huge advances, still many of the lights are still available. You've got to watch out for cheap LED emitters being put into the lights rather than Cree's

OP
OP
Jody

Jody

Stubborn git

If anyone uses a cheap Chinese cree light without a decent lens to stop it dazzling oncoming road users, they deserve to have the battery pack as a suppository! :evil:

Most of the time my light is for off-road use. Occasionally it's been used on road but always pointed so the main spot just skims the front wheel. It certainly doesn't dazzle.

Threevok

Agreed

I never use mine on the road part of the commute

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I'll start off my tally by saying

>CREE do NOT manufacture chinese bicycle lights. They simply provide the driver board which means battery quality, shell quality, wiring and longevity are all questionable<

Top Bottom