Cresswell Fold-it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trent Tourist

Über Member
Anyone got one of these ? Made by Pashley, sometimes under the name of 'Brilliant Bicycles'. Not made any more, don't seem to be many around. 7 speed Sturmey Archer gear with SA hub brakes. Rides really well.
image.jpg

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Interesting. Though it doesn't seem to do much in the way of folding.

5970291465_7a652a3fc7_z.jpg

Attachments

• 5970291465_7a652a3fc7_z.jpg
    5970291465_7a652a3fc7_z.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 191
These were bikes of a number of sizes and designed by Richard Creswell ( I rode an early one) of Creswell Engineering, which then became Briliant Cycles and then the company was sold to Pashley.

They also made the U+2

Nice reliable little bikes.

They also had a recumbent, the Rapide

Some information about this and the Company is available in Encycleopedia 1994 - 5

Read all the way through as it is interesting to see the Creswell stuff, but look at the early Birdy, Street Machine and Trice!

Last edited:

robgul

Legendary Member
Richard (I know him, he lives just near me) was still making machines (not sure if he is now) - a recumbent tandem with a sort of "girder" as the chassis ... called oVo (the website goes to his sculpting stuff so perhaps he's stopped the bike stuff?)

There was also a non-folding version of the Fold-it - you see a few in and around Stratford-upon-Avon ... presumably from the local Pashley connection (I think they sold them when Pashley owned a cycle shop in the town)

Rob

I tried one, think I have a photo of me riding one in the late 90s at CycleFest at Lancaster/Morecambe. There was also the Micro. Richard Cresswell now runs Brilliant Bikes I think, and apparently he is visiting a friend of mine soon, here in Cheshire.

NoelG

WP_20171119_22_25_11_Rich_LI.jpg

Yes, I've got one. Bought new about 20 years ago and fitted a Heinzmann electric motor to the front wheel. Sold them for a while (the bike with a motor) but I was ahead of the waave. Very few people bought them. But the motor was fantastic and the bike well made. Eventually the battery gave up, I got rid of the motor and re-fitted the orginal sturmy archer wheel with internal brake. Then got relegated to a plastic sheet cover outside in the garden for years. Got it out TODAY and here it is. Needs new inner tube on back, a polish up on the chrome, and a new back brake cable which which is seized. In fact everything was a bit seized. But a liberal dose of releasing oil worked wonders. Amazingly close to being rideable again. I love the simple, logical form of the frame. It folds down a bit better than shown in the photo of the grey one because the seat and handlebar posts slide into the frame with a quick release clamp.

Gonzales

Regular
I have one of these too. It’s in perfectly usable condition and myself and missus can get this and her Brompton into the the boot to seek out cycle friendly routes for easy weekend rides.

So I was just getting this Cresswell ready for Spring and found the rear tyre a bit perished. The original tyres are marked as 20 x 1.75. They are somewhat balloon designs, that was probably a mistake, I should have got normal size. Where can I get slightly more standard tyres and what size should I order? A lot of websites seem to be quoting different units/measures - if I Google 1 x 1.75 folding bike tyres I get products “for 20” wheels”.

In fact the rim radius from hub centre is 20 cm and inner rims are 1.75 cm apart.

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
20 x 1.75 would be right for such a bike. Most folding shoppers if a certain vintage ride on them and they are reasily available - even white-walls.
Balloony yes, but they are just what are needed.

Brompting

View attachment 383959
Yes, I've got one. Bought new about 20 years ago and fitted a Heinzmann electric motor to the front wheel. Sold them for a while (the bike with a motor) but I was ahead of the waave. Very few people bought them. But the motor was fantastic and the bike well made. Eventually the battery gave up, I got rid of the motor and re-fitted the orginal sturmy archer wheel with internal brake. Then got relegated to a plastic sheet cover outside in the garden for years. Got it out TODAY and here it is. Needs new inner tube on back, a polish up on the chrome, and a new back brake cable which which is seized. In fact everything was a bit seized. But a liberal dose of releasing oil worked wonders. Amazingly close to being rideable again. I love the simple, logical form of the frame. It folds down a bit better than shown in the photo of the grey one because the seat and handlebar posts slide into the frame with a quick release clamp.

Hello NoelG
Is yours still for sale?

Brompting

I have one of these too. It’s in perfectly usable condition and myself and missus can get this and her Brompton into the the boot to seek out cycle friendly routes for easy weekend rides.

So I was just getting this Cresswell ready for Spring and found the rear tyre a bit perished. The original tyres are marked as 20 x 1.75. They are somewhat balloon designs, that was probably a mistake, I should have got normal size. Where can I get slightly more standard tyres and what size should I order? A lot of websites seem to be quoting different units/measures - if I Google 1 x 1.75 folding bike tyres I get products “for 20” wheels”.

In fact the rim radius from hub centre is 20 cm and inner rims are 1.75 cm apart.

Hello Gonzales,
Presently tyre size is expressed in ETRTO.
So the Cresswell is a 406, the diameter of the "hole" in the tyre in mm, so slightly smaller than the diameter of the rim.
There are good puncture-proof tyres from Schwalbe, the Marathons.

Good luck in obtaining new tyres.

AyJay

Über Member
Brakes are interesting. I wonder if you can get spares for them? Does anybody make drum brakes anymore? Discs seem the latest idea.

Top Bottom