Cricket thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
I reckon its perfectly alright to do a Mankad. Bowlers get penalised for stepping a fraction of an inch over the line when bowling, why should batters be allowed to leave their crease and steal a couple of paces up the pitch without consequence just because it's deemed 'against the spirit of the game'?

On a less controversial note Gloucestershire finally won a county championship match this week beating Warwickshire in a battle of the bottom two, although it wasn't enough to take us above them.

Hardly a couple of paces!
The bowler was in her delivery stride.

The bowler was even looking at the batswoman.

2BCB1FE0-4FDD-44CF-A82D-DFB6D8BFA324.jpeg

geocycle

Legendary Member
I Think the legislators need to decide once and for all whether this is an acceptable dismissal. The current ambiguity just leads to bad feelings regarding ’the spirit of the game’. Maybe the warning system should be brought back or some kind of run penalties similar to a no ball for the bowler would work.

Always the same moan. They can't take it out of the rule book, because as in the 80s, some would go close to the halfway mark. And it is always the same select few countries. Spirit of the game is BS. If so take it out and see the consequences.

And who has influenced the rules all these decades. No different to entitled Karens who want to know who let you in the door of the apartment block.

geocycle

Legendary Member
I don’t think spirit of the game applies in this case. True, it has only happened about 5 times in all the ODIs played but It is either in the rules or not. Personally, I think it would be better have a run penalty rather than dismissal.

newts

Veteran
We're we always taught to drag your bat behind you on the ground keeping it within the crease whilst you walked with the bowlers last few paces. Modern batsmen at the higher levels are being rather lazy in not doing this. Ultimately they are taking the pi#* & gaining unfair advantage. Remove the ambiguity in the umpires decision, make it part of the game. A runout is a runout.

We're we always taught to drag your bat behind you on the ground keeping it within the crease whilst you walked with the bowlers last few paces. Modern batsmen at the higher levels are being rather lazy in not doing this. Ultimately they are taking the pi#* & gaining unfair advantage. Remove the ambiguity in the umpires decision, make it part of the game. A runout is a runout.

But NOT when the bowler is in their delivery stride and the batsman, at THAT moment, still has their bat behind the popping crease. Most, if not all, batsmen back up, some more than others, hence the once-normal warning issued by the bowler, meaning next time he would rightfully run out the batsman.
Similar to how it was with penalties in football: no stuttering, stopping run up to take the penalty, making the ‘keeper commit himself, while the kicker simply places the ball to the other side.

AndyRM

XOXO
I'm not a huge fan of T20, but I have to say this series with Pakistan has been incredibly good fun, and great preparation for the World Cup.

AndyRM

XOXO
Half an hour to go until the decider, I'm starting to get excited! Fitting that it comes down to a decider and isn't a dead rubber, be a shame if such a great series was to go out with a whimper.

Obviously I want England to win, but as long as it's as entertaining as the fans have been accustomed to, I really don't care. Both sides have played some wonderful cricket.

Top Bottom