Cricket thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
An excellent start against New Zealand today. Shows how integral Roy is as an opener, there can't be many better than him and Bairstow together.
The innings ran out of steam a bit. 305 is ok but not great.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Have faith

I've been saying all week that we will beat India and NZ and go into the semis with all the momentum and confidence. NZ 20-2 from 7 overs so someone will have to produce a really special innings for England to lose
Hats off to your confidence from earlier this week! NZ now 6 wickets down with the required run rate rising into the high 7s.

Correction: RRR is 8.1

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Hats off to your confidence from earlier this week! NZ now 6 wickets down with the required run rate rising into the high 7s.

Correction: RRR is 8.1

If you look back far enough in the cricket thread I've got heartily fed up with negative attitudes towards the England team (in whatever format of the game) as I believe this is a key reason why England has historically underperformed. Pressure of negative sentiment

I'm very impressed by the attitude of the England players. They know they are really good and go out and execute their skills, even when they've had a really bad day previously

Anyway, 132-6 off 30. NZ are playing to not get a big dent in their NRR and potentially opening the door to Pakistan

AndyRM

XOXO
If you look back far enough in the cricket thread I've got heartily fed up with negative attitudes towards the England team (in whatever format of the game) as I believe this is a key reason why England has historically underperformed. Pressure of negative sentiment

I'm very impressed by the attitude of the England players. They know they are really good and go out and execute their skills, even when they've had a really bad day previously

Anyway, 132-6 off 30. NZ are playing to not get a big dent in their NRR and potentially opening the door to Pakistan

There's a lot tied up in the English sporting psyche which needs unpacking. Fortunately for the players in whatever discipline that's more on the fans and media than it is them.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
All the negative posts following the Australia defeat. What I don't understand is that we then have two really excellent performances against India and NZ and there is barely a post about it. Seems people are happier posting negative stuff about England

Australia and India will be desperate not to finish second in the round robin and face England in the semis

It’s a batting shambles.
We need some miraculous middle order batting now.
We will do well to get to 50 overs at this rate.

Cannot watch it now.
Just like our footballers,as soon as we are in serious competitions we flop.

Still not looking good:ohmy:

They think it's all over...

...it probably is now :sad:

So, what odds favourites England not even making the semis?

That cheered me up after seeing a much better side beat us. :laugh:

All the negative posts following the Australia defeat. What I don't understand is that we then have two really excellent performances against India and NZ and there is barely a post about it. Seems people are happier posting negative stuff about England

Australia and India will be desperate not to finish second in the round robin and face England in the semis
*BACKTRACKING ALERT* if Michael Vaughn can do it so can I. Justifiable? Maybe not, but we have been excellent last two games. Can't wait for the semis.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker

England stand a better chance of winning games by batting first (I know they have pulled off some great run chases, but not so much in this tournament). So, desperate to win the toss.....

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk

I note your including my quote, which was a humorous comment about the state of a specific game which we were clearly about to lose, whilst omitting my later post where I swallowed humble pie, unprompted regarding my pessimism about our progressing.

...now what were you saying about balance? ^_^

Beebo

Firm and Fruity

You are right. we are too negative.
The two wins have been so convincing that both teams effectively gave up half way through their innings and tried to protect their net run rate.
Roy has been the difference for me. With Plunkett providing good bowling.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Have faith

I've been saying all week that we will beat India and NZ and go into the semis with all the momentum and confidence. NZ 20-2 from 7 overs so someone will have to produce a really special innings for England to lose
You have, and you were right. I was impressed when you stood your ground, even after the Australia performance. I was one of the naysayers I'm afraid. I thought they looked a broken team. The return of Roy does seem to have been transformational. Now to beat the Aussies in the final!

Top Bottom