Cricket thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

philk56

Guru
I think Bairstow should be given a chance to open with Burns,
I really can't see that happening, Bairstow is way out of form already with the red ball. I think Roy needs to be given another chance. Presumably Archer is pencilled in to replace Anderson but they must be 101% sure he is fully fit otherwise we could face the same situation again.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
And with that humiliating defeat go the Ashes back to Australia, I suspect.

Out-played in all departments, I'd imagine (following on cricbuzz, not TV). Apart from Anderson being replaced by, most likely, Archer (if he's fit), then I can't see anyone knocking on the door to get into the team for the 2nd Test.

The Aussies are on a high (winning the 1st Test of an Ashes encounter is a major confidence booster) and they, IMO, didn't play their best bowlers, what with Starc and Hazlewood sitting this game out.

I think Bairstow should be given a chance to open with Burns, Root at three. Not sure Denly's up to it (at Test level) but who else is there?

2nd Test at Lord's, which hasn't been a successful ground for England in Ashes Tests.

I don't agree with your analysis, having watched most of the test on TV. Ali and Bairstow look terribly out of form. There's no way Bairstow could handle opening. I suspect Ali will be dropped for the next test and they will bring Leach in. Archer obviously in providing he can show fitness. If not, Stone comes in

I know I sound like a broken record, but now isn't the time for throwing in the towel and conceding a series defeat as you appear to be doing. It's just one test. If England get rolled over at Lords I may change my mind. But not after just one game

I know I sound like a broken record, but now isn't the time for throwing in the towel and conceding a series defeat as you appear to be doing. It's just one test. If England get rolled over at Lords I may change my mind. But not after just one game

No, I admire your optimism. Having been a huge cricket fan and very active player all my life (well, 54 out of 57 years) I've become used to all the 'rebirths' of England cricket, I have developed a pessimism for these false dawns.

I always played sport and competed to the very end, even when losing heavily or inevitably, and of course England won't throw in the towel after the first Test, but knowing how Australia seem to have this ability to play mind games with their opponents, then a series win is on the cards.

However, like England, their batting is heavily reliant on one or two batsmen (Aus = Smith and Warner, Eng = Root). And that's it, I'm afraid. Some players may smote a fifty, but small runs HAVE to be converted into BIG runs and regularly.

The bowling is quite even, although Australian fire-power is greater and more numerous than England's. Also Lyon is a league of his own.

So, based on the above, that's why I fear the Ashes will be (metaphorically speaking) heading south. Of course I hope I'm wrong and that someone can step up to the plate (like Burns did in the first innings).

tom73

Guru
To sum up the 1st test England just can't bat for toffee. You can't keep hoping the bowlers will get you out the mess.
All credit the Aus they just out played us all round. Great bowling today much of it wasted on our current lineup.
@Dayvo has it right you have to batsman with staying power who can work at it all day long week in week out.
The simple truth is we don't have any smashing the odd ball round the park maybe good TV but won't win you the game.

That's what sets the great players apart from the rest. Do you think the likes of Hurst, Rhodes, Hutton and Boycott thought I've got 50 now my work is done and mentally switch off? Not a snows balls they understood what they had to do and held out.

Much of cricket is played in the mind you had to believe and know how to play the other team. Thats what I use to work hard at when I played and always rammed it home to my team. Australia understand it all too well and have it in spades. This together with the bowling and Smith make it hard to beat.

tom73

Guru
Can’t bat for toffee nothing changers.

Having no idea of the weather or the conditions at Lord's, I'd say a 1st innings total of 275+ isn't too bad, and then unleash a fired-up Archer on the Aussies.

No-one likes it 'up em' and he's the fastest England have had for a while, so who knows.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Having no idea of the weather or the conditions at Lord's, I'd say a 1st innings total of 275+ isn't too bad, and then unleash a fired-up Archer on the Aussies.

No-one likes it 'up em' and he's the fastest England have had for a while, so who knows.

My optimism is starting to rub off on you @Dayvo. OK total, not great, not bad. Really you need to have both sides bat on that pitch before you can make a determination on how well or badly England batted. I would say that Roy, tremendous player he is, doesn't look like a Test opener. I'd love to see him at somewhere like 5 but that still leaves the problem of finding an opener. Wonder what happened to Habib? He looked the real deal, then suffered a broken finger and seems to have sunk without trace

AndyRM

XOXO
My optimism is starting to rub off on you @Dayvo. OK total, not great, not bad. Really you need to have both sides bat on that pitch before you can make a determination on how well or badly England batted. I would say that Roy, tremendous player he is, doesn't look like a Test opener. I'd love to see him at somewhere like 5 but that still leaves the problem of finding an opener. Wonder what happened to Habib? He looked the real deal, then suffered a broken finger and seems to have sunk without trace

Wisden had a good article about him recently, seems like he's struggling.

https://www.wisden.com/stories/county-cricket/curious-case-haseeb-hameed

But he's still a kid, so there's time.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

tom73

Guru
He's not the 1st to fail at 1st team level and he won't be the last.
I've played with a few who became top of tree at local level, compared to peers top at 2rd xi and England.
Once they got into county 1st team they became no longer the best but bottom of tree. Some just can't claim the tree sadly and with the modern demand for instant results. It means many good players end up being thrown out with the ones who really should never be on cricket field.

Top Bottom