Cricket thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I wasn't very clear. I meant the commentary team really.

Sky's overall coverage is excellent.

I don't pay much attention to any sports commentators. predictable mix on Sky of retired international cricketers.

At the risk of revealing myself to be a cricketing peasant, I also like watching the 20/20 games on Sky.

There's something on the BBC website about the BBC having more cricket coverage next season. so it might worth waiting to see what you can get on terrestrial telly.

You might have seen the cricket world cup final was put on Channel 4/More 4.

Some concern within cricket that Sky viewing figures are tiny, slowly but surely they are turning it into a minority sport.

The cricket authorities are finally grasping what the crusty old wing commanders who run Wimbledon have always known - having your tournament on the BBC is worth more than the extra money you get from selling out to Sky.

The Premier League also grasps the importance of Match of the Day on the BBC.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
The offending Umpire was only promoted to the ICC Elite Group in July (replacing someone whose performance was substandard, ironically). It deserves to be a short tenure as he's obviously not up to the job. I feel for Lyons, who so obviously made up for his missed stumping with the plumbest lbw you'll ever see not given.

Still, the Umpire's decision is final - when you've burned your last review, that is.

Last edited:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Sky's overall coverage is excellent.

I don't pay much attention to any sports commentators. predictable mix on Sky of retired international cricketers.

At the risk of revealing myself to be a cricketing peasant, I also like watching the 20/20 games on Sky.

There's something on the BBC website about the BBC having more cricket coverage next season. so it might worth waiting to see what you can get on terrestrial telly.

You might have seen the cricket world cup final was put on Channel 4/More 4.

Some concern within cricket that Sky viewing figures are tiny, slowly but surely they are turning it into a minority sport.

The cricket authorities are finally grasping what the crusty old wing commanders who run Wimbledon have always known - having your tournament on the BBC is worth more than the extra money you get from selling out to Sky.

The Premier League also grasps the importance of Match of the Day on the BBC.
BBC will be showing the Hundred tournament next year in conjunction with Sky.

Daddy Pig

Veteran
The offending Umpire was only promoted to the ICC Elite Group in July (replacing someone whose performance was substandard, ironically). It deserves to be a short tenure as he's obviously not up to the job. I feel for Lyons, who so obviously made up for his missed stumping with the plumbest lbw you'll ever see not given.

Still, the Umpire's decision is final - when you've burned your last review, that is.
In defence of the umpire, having looked at Lyons ball a number of times at full speed then it would appear that the ball would slide down leg. In which case he gave benefit of the doubt to the batsman.

It is still clear that if there is any uncertainty then it should be given not out.

Australia burned their last review. It should not be a case of England having a review left, therefore giving him out, it still is a case of any doubt...

Therefore I would say that it was a good umpiring decision. Replays make it look so much easier than in real life!

peterdowning

Veteran
Specsavers got full value for their sponsorship money with Leach in there at the end :-)

geocycle

Legendary Member
In defence of the umpire, having looked at Lyons ball a number of times at full speed then it would appear that the ball would slide down leg. In which case he gave benefit of the doubt to the batsman.

It is still clear that if there is any uncertainty then it should be given not out.

Australia burned their last review. It should not be a case of England having a review left, therefore giving him out, it still is a case of any doubt...

Therefore I would say that it was a good umpiring decision. Replays make it look so much easier than in real life!

Yes I agree with that. We must remember that many a great innings and victory has benefitted from poor umpiring. Take a look at the 2005 ashes, results of most games would have been different with reviews. I was at Headingley and had a fantastic day. Makes up for 1981 when I went the day before Botham did his stuff!

AndyRM

XOXO
Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 17.05.31.png

Top Bottom