Crikey! Lor' luvaduck! Jiminy crickets!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/jul/20/words-language-father

I'm on a mission to preserve not only those old Light Programme epithets, but a few Norman Rockwell-stylee classics as well. It distresses me to think that one of these days nobody, but nobody will say 'Blimey ol' riley!' or even 'Great Scot!'. And that will be far from fine and dandy, let alone peachy-keen.

Am I alone? Well, obviously not. Mr. Preston, who lives just down the road from me is on a similar mission. Should I see him pass by in his large car (who could forget) I'll attempt to engage him in conversation. The result will be, for those of tender years, too awful to contemplate.

So, CCers - which of your parents or grandparents favourite expressions should be listed?

accountantpete

Brexiteer
"I'll tan yer arse like a zebra crossing"

ACS

Legendary Member
When ever my grand dad met any of his many brothers he would say "Bless my soul, I haven't seen you since the old king died."

It was a sort of family tradition.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I should coco

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I cannot tell you how much I have enjoyed reading these posts. 'Gordon Bennett' (has that got something to do with racing cars in the Isle of Man) is one of my absolute favourites, and I use it a lot.

Does anybody shout 'oil' when they're on a group ride?

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Much beloved of the older generation Broons and Oor Wullie readers:

"Jings, crivvens, help-ma-boab, michty me, murder polis !"

Sadly no longer uttered by anyone under the age of 40 ;)

"Stap me" was my Mum's favourite exhaust..."'Blige me" - my Dad's. Not sure what it was all about.
"'...it/he was as black as Newgate's knocker..."(anything darker than grey) - EX father in law.
And my Mum still says (about virtually anyone or anything she sees on the TV - "I wouldn't give you tuppence three farthing for him..")

U

User482

I think that Gordon Bennett was an American newspaper owner who also used to have a racing car team. But why the expression evolved, I cannot say. My nan used to say it too.

Top Bottom