Crimewatch last time it was on

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
That would be last week I suppose.

There was an item about an old case about a woman who was marrying blokes and taking them for all they were worth, in one case killing the bloke and another where she did her best to bash his brains out. Thankfully she is banged up now.

What stuck in my mind was that in the interviews after the film clips, several times they came out with the phrase

..''this woman is every mans nightmare''

Definately a scary and dangerous woman but they kept harping on about how men weren't safe while she had been on the prowl. Banging on like all men everywhere were doomed.

It made me think that every week there are blokes on Crimewatch being sought who make her look like a saint in comparison.
Rapists, child molesters, guys who have beaten / stabbed / burnt / robbed or generally terrorised women for years on end. Many repeat offenders who think nothing of giving the wife a good kicking just because they can.
And yet they make such a fuss about one woman.

Granted she is a dangerous bastard but bad women always make headlines whereas equally bad blokes don't somehow have the same shock value as far as the media goes.

Rose West, Myra Hindley, Beverly Allett, Mary Bell all names we will hear quite often but for everyone of them there will be many men (dozens?) who have committed equally bad or worse crimes and yet apart from the 'famous names' how many ever make the headlines again?

(Without looking it up who can recall the name of the male nurse who has recently been convicted of killing off some older patients?)

Just a thought.

colly said:
(Without looking it up who can recall the name of the male nurse who has recently been convicted of killing off some older patients?)

ok by the same token (without looking it up) whats the name of the female teacher in the south west that has just killed her baby ?

Simon

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
There are a LOT of double standards out there you know.

We men can be insulted, all be tarred with the same brush that we are all abusers of some sort, assaulted, barred from things, and yet, if you were to do that to a Woman, then you would be sexist!.

I worked in Childcare for a while, and one of the guys I was working with wanted to work in a nursery.

Could he?? could he hell! and it wasn't because he had a bad record or anything (he was a former Policeman), it was all blatant sexism (even the woman we worked with said that) and it was practically said to his face!
He quite literally wasn't allowed to break through the g***s c*****g!!

Now, if they had been a woman, had been disabled, had been black, was an asylum seeker, was gay ...whatever, that would have been discrimination, but because he was a local white man, he was treated like sh*t and was expected to simply roll over and take it!!

So don't even get me started on all of this crap!! I absolutely despise any kind of sexism at all, even these patronising woman who tell me that I don't notice things 'because I'm a man'.
If I said the same to you, you would call me a sexist pig, so F**K OFF!!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Mad Doug Biker said:
He quite literally wasn't allowed to break through the g***s c*****g!!

Quite literally? I'd have thought a glass ceiling was a dangerous thing to have in a nursery, maybe it was toughened glass though.

I assume the reason women get special attention in this sort of case is because of hundreds of years of society making us out to be saints and naturally nurturing and all that - so it makes it more 'shocking' to most people.

A man suffering from sexism like that is going through the sort of thing women have gone through for centuries - and of course men have always gone through it to some extent, although they have perhaps had it more as ridicule (you want to dance? Are you some sort of poof?) than as direct sexism (Engineering? you won't be able to do that, you pretty little thing, you're too dainty and you'll faint all the time).

Brains

Legendary Member
Unusual crimes make headlines:

There are plenty of male murdering wife beaters out there, women are aware they are there, there is a whole network set up for battered women

However a female murdering husband beater is a rare beast, men are not aware they are around, there is no network set up for battered men

(We had a battered male aquantence some years ago, the council wanted to put him temporarily in the local batterd womens hostel with his kids, the kids (male teenagers), were allowed to stay, he however was not, as he was a male. He ended up after a few nights on friends floors in a B&B. The woman was also trying to find out where he and the kids were. It got very nasty)

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Arch said:
Quite literally?

Yes it meant that if the kids all impaled themselves on the glass the staff would get some peace and quiet. It was a cunning plan and a good one at that, but it only worked once before the Police started to think something a bit fishy had just happened.

I assume the reason women get special attention in this sort of case is because of hundreds of years of society making us out to be saints and naturally nurturing and all that - so it makes it more 'shocking' to most people.

A man suffering from sexism like that is going through the sort of thing women have gone through for centuries - and of course men have always gone through it to some extent, although they have perhaps had it more as ridicule (you want to dance? Are you some sort of poof?) than as direct sexism (Engineering? you won't be able to do that, you pretty little thing, you're too dainty and you'll faint all the time).
You are right, but It was just because I saw it first hand and the blatant sexism. Any woman would take that one to court but he was expected just to roll over and take it.

Annyway.

Regarding the first bit:

I'LL GET ME COAT!!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Mad Doug Biker said:
You are right, but It was just because I saw it first hand and the blatant sexism. Any woman would take that one to court but he was expected just to roll over and take it.

I think if anyone was sexist, or racist, or any-ist, they would expect the person to take it. It's the reasonable ones among us that would expect someone to take action.

The basic problem is, some people are just stupid and narrow minded.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Yes.

Anyway, I started watching Crimewatch years ago when at School to see if any of my teachers were in it!!

To this day, I have still to see someone I know in it! :smile:

Top Bottom