Criminally Underappreciated Musicians

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slim

Über Member
I had always thought that John Hiatt was relatively well known but none of my mates have ever heard of him. As well as performing his own songs, loads of others have recorded his songs from Bob Dylan to BB King and Eric Clapton.

He also has a knack of choosing great band members (esp' Sonny Landreth).

Robyn Hitchcock

mikeitup

Veteran
re

Andy Timmons.

Guthrie Govan.

Geoff Whitehorn.

ALL criminally under-rated outside of the guitar fraternity that is.

AT was in Danger Danger (80's & 90's) and when isn't touring with his band is musical director whenever Olivia Newton John tours.

GG plays in Erotic cakes when not touring with Asia and writing for Guitar Techniques.

GW has been around for years (Crawler in the 70's. Roger Chapman, Roger Waters & Elkie Brooks in the 80's) and more recently writing for Guitar Techniques and depping axeman for the musical WWRY when Phil Hilborne iasn't available.

Membrane

Melvil said:
Well, someone told me the other day about how genius Allan Holdsworth is and how he never got the fame he deserved and is very underappreciated. I've never heard his stuff so I'll reserve judgement.

If it's fame that a musician is after then they can't afford to get too far ahead of the comprehension level of the public at large. Years ago I bought some of Allan Holdsworth's albums because I admired Eddie van Halen who in an interview mentioned AH as someone he admired. I never managed to get into Allan Holdsworth's music, it is seriously weird stuff. He could be a genius, but it may require the musical comprehension level of another musical genius to recognize that.

llllllll

Not sure if this counts, but I'd say Roy Wood. Very well known of course, mainly for looking weird and a certain festive hit, but criminally under-rated as a musician. The Move were great, Blackberry Way has to be one of the greatest songs of the Sixties. The first Electric Light Orchestra album was amazing - don't let the bands reputation put you off, he left ELO part way through the second album, but his influence was still there and it's probably a better, or at least more accesible album. The first Wizzard album, Wizzard's Brew, is also well worth getting. Who else would start a hit record with a Spitfire fly past (See My Baby Jive) or make a pop record based on a marching band (sounds terrible on paper, amazing on the stereo). His solo album Boulders is also well worth getting. A proper solo album, not only did he write all the tracks, but he played all the instruments (and there's a lot of them) and even designed the sleave.
The man's a genius, but gets none of the recogintion of his comtempories like Bolan and Bowie or even Slade.

Here's a couple of his best songs minus Spitfire:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Sabreur said:
Ed-alleyne Johnson

A 5 string electric violin, effects pedals and an amazing sound

I used to know him back when he lived in Oxford! Amazingly talented but he really only ever did one thing, and went all to crap when he got a new girlfriend who did vocals...

My vote is for the Canadian guitarist Michael Brook - not necessarily because of his only musicianship but because of what he gets out of others in collaborations - see his work with Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan or Djavan Gasparan.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Robbie Williams... he may be a bit cabaret, (like a modern version of Tom Jones), and I don't particulalry like his oeuvre (if i may be a pretentious git for a moment), but he's got a damn fine voice.

Top Bottom