Criminally Underappreciated Musicians

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Melvil

Membrane said:
If it's fame that a musician is after then they can't afford to get too far ahead of the comprehension level of the public at large. Years ago I bought some of Allan Holdsworth's albums because I admired Eddie van Halen who in an interview mentioned AH as someone he admired. I never managed to get into Allan Holdsworth's music, it is seriously weird stuff. He could be a genius, but it may require the musical comprehension level of another musical genius to recognize that.

I do know where you're coming from there - a friend of mine who was seriously musical (his mum and dad were both professional musicians, he was grade 1million on three different instruments) loved, and I mean loved the band Steely Dan, but try as I might, I couldn't help thinking they were utterly pants, so...

U

User169

Almost any serious contemporary classical composer is likely to be, at best, underappreciated.

Of those that merit a wider audience, I'd say that Thomas Ades is the most deserving (of the Brits at least) and quite possibly a genius.

His two teachers, Goehr and Holloway, are also worth a listen.

Flying_Monkey said:
I used to know him back when he lived in Oxford! Amazingly talented but he really only ever did one thing, and went all to crap when he got a new girlfriend who did vocals...

My vote is for the Canadian guitarist Michael Brook - not necessarily because of his only musicianship but because of what he gets out of others in collaborations - see his work with Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan or Djavan Gasparan.

Got his "Cobalt Blue" album (on 4AD?) when it came out back in the day. His follow up "Albino Alligator" was too long in coming to maintain any commercial presence. However, he did invent the "Infinite Guitar" as used by U2's Edge for a while.

I couldn't single any one person out as being underrated as there are so many musicians overlooked over the years. But most already mentioned have got something in my record collection so hopefully I've helped to pay for the pet food for a day.

Except Robbie Williams - sorry Fnaar, but just can't stomach the gurning buffoon Williams.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Lardyboy said:
Except Robbie Williams - sorry Fnaar, but just can't stomach the gurning buffoon Williams.
No I can't either, he's really not my type of music at all, but I do think he has a very good voice....

Top Bottom