Critérium du Dauphiné 2-9 June [spoilers]

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VamP

Banned
Plus there was all those drugs back then. :ohmy:

Sounds just like being at uni.

400bhp

Guru
Even if you have that data, you can't make a meaningful comparison because climbs appear at different points in the race from year to year - both within stages and within the race overall.

I was waiting for someone to pick up on that, but with enough data (power and weight for one) meaningful comparisons can be made.

GilesM

Legendary Member
I was working just outside Grenoble last week, didn't get to see the race due to my work, but this lot all appeared at my Hotel on the Friday evening, very impressive to see close up.

Attachments

• Pradotel 1.jpg
    Pradotel 1.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Pradotel 2.jpg
    Pradotel 2.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 50
  • Pradotel 3.jpg
    Pradotel 3.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 47
  • Pradotel 4.jpg
    Pradotel 4.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 50

lukesdad

Indeed.
My point, and also made by other CCers, is that the style and results of Sky, Froome and Wiggins makes it an easy, lazy comparison with USPS.
The comparison with USPS, is quite frightening. I would of thought the emergence of another dominant super team would be quite worrying to those wishing to clean up pro racing and not for the reason that the super team would be using the drugs.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Even if you have that data, you can't make a meaningful comparison because climbs appear at different points in the race from year to year - both within stages and within the race overall.

It's quite easy to generate comparable power output figures - even with the changes to where any particular climb appears in a stage, averaged across a whole GT you can get a meaningful data set, and you can do this retrospectively too. And the figures I have seen, for example for Nibali at the Giro this year compared to previous winners from 5 or 10 years ago, show that the average power output on climbs race was well within the bounds of what is possible unaided. For many previous years, less so. I haven't seen such an analysis on Froome at the Dauphiné yet but I would be surprised if it didn't show something similar. The peloton is slower, less powerful and even many 'outstanding' performances are, when analysed like this, not superhuman at all - they are simply outstanding within what is possible. The cynics just see a rider winning or 'dominating' and think that's evidence enough for them, but the context is really important.

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
It's quite easy to generate comparable power output figures - even with the changes to where any particular climb appears in a stage, averaged across a whole GT you can get a meaningful data set, and you can do this retrospectively too.

Apologies to 400bhp if I've just completely misunderstood him, but I thought he was talking about comparing individual performances on particular climbs, without that context.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Apologies to 400bhp if I've just completely misunderstood him, but I thought he was talking about comparing individual performances on particular climbs, without that context.

Probably. I was really just making a more general point rather than specifically criticizing anyone.

400bhp

Guru

Well, yes and no. My point was there should be something publicly available (and endorsed) that shows something that is broadly comparable. I understand it's difficult to do for an individual up one climb on a particular day, so you combine groups of data and use model points instead.

I've got this broad idea in my mind that the powers that be in any sport could harness the available data they have and set trigger points to investigate possible individuals that are up to no good.

Top Bottom