Critérium du Dauphiné Libéré

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

girofan

Contador is going to Caisse D'Epargne IMO and before the Tour!!!!
He's just looking for the excuse of non-payment by Astana to spring him from his contract with Bruyneel.
What Duffers said about him helping to protect Valverde from Evans because they're both Spanish is misreading the situation. The back-slap from Valverde in today's stage said it all. IMO he has a verbal agreement with Caisse for the Tour if he can leave the 'drug team' - Astana.
Anyone of similar opinion - or not?

yello

Hmmmm.... sort of, yes and no. Contador probably wants to go because of the situation at Astana, he may well even have some form of loose 'in principal' agreement with Caisse but whether Bruyneel/Astana would let him go... dunno.

I personally think it's reading too much into the back slap to suggest a done deal, or even a deal in the making. I reckon Duffers might actually be closer to the truth with that one.

Keith Oates

Janner
Contador followed Bryneel and stayed with him even when they were not allowed to enter the TdF. It's now fairly obvious that Armstrong will not be a challenge to Contador in the TdF and will probably be a big help, so I don't see him leaving Astana this year unless they are stripped of their licence by th UCI over the cash situation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yello

Keith Oates said:
I don't see him leaving Astana this year unless they are stripped of their licence by th UCI over the cash situation!

Has that actually been resolved yet? I think I read that it had, in as much as UCI had received yet another re-assurance, but has the cash actually been put in the bank. I get the impression not.

Edit: I was wrong. From The Telegraph...

"The UCI has verified that Astana has fulfilled the conditions," the organisation said in a statement, one of those conditions being the fulfilment of outstanding sponsorship contracts.

Will1985

Über Member
Good to see Evans actually doing some work for once...

I really hope Valverde isn't allowed to ride the Tour - the latest report on cyclingnews suggests the situation is getting a bit too political. What is the point in trade teams if riders are more prepared to help fellow countrymen? Sounds like the opposite of Wegelius in the Worlds a few years ago.

Will1985

Über Member
John the Monkey said:
So a rider banned by one federation won the Dauphiné and now tops the pro-tour rankings.

Blimey.
Doesn't exactly send out the right message to lay-people about what the governing bodies are doing against doping. A rider should be suspended until allegations are cleared up or proven.

Same goes for when Rebellin was outed less than a week after winning La Fleche Wallonne - surely the authorities knew before then.

Top Bottom