Critérium du Dauphiné Libéré

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
Duffers said there is a very good bike museum at St Etienne and also hinted that the Tour of Spain and poss the Giro might be chopped to make way for smaller, more popular races.

yello

DM did well again today.... and yesterday too, but we kind of expect him to perform in a TT. ;)

Today, on Ventoux, he was a very respectable (for a non-climber) 2:28 behind 1st placed Szmyd. Keeps him 4th in the GC at 1:43 back. Top stuff, imho!

Evans said: "It was a bizarre race. It seemed not many riders want to win the Dauphine. It's hard to have the responsibility of wearing the yellow jersey as well as coping with the wind on the final stretch, that's tough on the Ventoux. I was expecting Contador to do more."
He doesn't change, does he? xx(
God bless him and his whinging little dog. :tongue:

Skip Madness

That was a serious miscall by Carlton Kirby and David Duffield in the studio by saying that Szmyd stole it - Valverde was clearly waiting for Szmyd (who it did not look like was not dropped but appeared to jump a gear - EDIT: apparently he says he got nervous and cramped up a bit/felt sick) and they had agreed that Szmyd would take the stage in return for helping Valverde on the ascent. It's a common situation which the commentators should have recognised.

Skip Madness

Chuffy said:
He doesn't change, does he? :smile:
God bless him and his whinging little dog. ;)
I never get that stuff about the "responsibility" of the race leader - if I were leading the race it would not make me send my team to the front to do stuff that doesn't need doing or oblige me to get on the front of the group like Evans was. The responsibility lies with all GC contenders and their teams. Evans might have done as well to drop to the back of his group to let the other riders know that he is not a walk-over - it might cost him the Dauphiné but it could earn him a bit of respect prior to the Tour. He couldn't commit either way - to chasing Valverde down or throwing his hands up in the air and saying, "bollocks to you all" - and that is how he lets his rivals get the psychological edge on him.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Skip Madness said:
That was a serious miscall by Carlton Kirby and David Duffield in the studio by saying that Szmyd stole it - Valverde was clearly waiting for Szmyd (who it did not look like was not dropped but appeared to jump a gear - EDIT: apparently he says he got nervous and cramped up a bit/felt sick) and they had agreed that Szmyd would take the stage in return for helping Valverde on the ascent. It's a common situation which the commentators should have recognised.
Kirby and Duffield are really pissing me off in this race, talking over one another, rambling about irrelevant stuff, getting things wrong. I know Duffield is a legend of sorts, but I just don't like either of them in this race, it's embarassing

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Millar is still in 5th overall and keeping up with the leaders. If he keeps it together tomorrow - and it is a bif if, because it looks a seriously hard stage - he has a shot at the podium. Is anyone else surprised at how strongly he is riding?

Keith Oates

Janner
It's good to see him up there and doing so well but I don't think he'll move up the GC tomorrow as it really looks to be a climbers stage. A good effort by him though, perhaps bodes well for a stage in the TdF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flying_Monkey said:
Millar is still in 5th overall and keeping up with the leaders. If he keeps it together tomorrow - and it is a bif if, because it looks a seriously hard stage - he has a shot at the podium. Is anyone else surprised at how strongly he is riding?
Based on two strong TTs (and he's a bit good at those) not entirely surprised. Pleased though. I like Millar.

yello

Flying_Monkey said:
Is anyone else surprised at how strongly he is riding?

Pleased but not surprised. I reckon DM needs things right in his head to perform to his best. When I've read his blog I've thought he doesn't quite have the PMA of a winner. Hopefully, with a good couple of results now behind him, he'll be up for it.

yello

Cracking finish today! Evans being aggressive (for him) and trying to loose Valverde & Contador. The latter lost 14 seconds but Valverde looked 'bien cuit', virtually falling off his bike as he crossed the line.

DM came in 4 minutes plus back and drops back in the GC. That's him realistically out of it.

Got to say, Evans did look good.

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
yello said:
Cracking finish today! Evans being aggressive (for him) and trying to loose Valverde & Contador. The latter lost 14 seconds but Valverde looked 'bien cuit', virtually falling off his bike as he crossed the line.

DM came in 4 minutes plus back and drops back in the GC. That's him realistically out of it.

Got to say, Evans did look good.

I get the feeling that Contador is not giving it anything like 100%...

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
Its been a superb race and Briancon beautiful town to finish stage. One would like to see Evans win and push on to victory in le Tour but don't think he has strong enough team around him. Does Gessink of Rabobank have what it takes to figure amongst the front runners next month? I think these short races are the future and the the tours of Spain and Italy may get severely shortened or dropped altogether.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Flying_Monkey said:
I get the feeling that Contador is not giving it anything like 100%...
Exactly...

Whilst Duffers ad his idiot co-commentator seem to think 'he's got nothing in his legs', it look sto me like he's just out on a training ride

Top Bottom