Criterium du Dauphiné, 8-15 June 2014 ***spoilers***

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thom

____
Great riding from Froome. I wonder though. Something of a benchmarking exercise for SKY and a reality check; in racing terms you'd want a larger dividend from such violent efforts. In a 3 week tour which is much more attritional, where riders need to show their best form in week 3, front running with only seconds to play with is tough.
Tempting to try to read a lot into these 2 days but Bertie will only be better for the tour.

robertob

Froome looks increasingly like super human to me. It was a monstrous pace they went up the final climb and when he finally took it up he threw in some unbelievable accelerations in succession. He clearly was the strongest rider. Contador did extremely well to keep the wheel even though for a moment towards the end it looked as if he would lose it when Froome accelerated. Contador was completely on his limit and did as good possible. If he would have been able, he would have attacked. But he wasn't able and isn't the old Contador anymore. And he knows it. So for that he rode smart. I doubt that will make any difference towards the end result though.

To my eyes, Froome looks pretty much impossible to beat. He well may have one not so good day at some point, but in general he'll kill them all on the mountain if he wants. If that is all down to pure natural talent and double espressos... well I have to admit that I'm starting to doubt. Anyways, I hope that someone will emerge at the Tour ( Rui Costa, Warren Barguil?) to make it real race...

Kelderman was impressive today. He was impressive at the Giro too. Clearly a bright prospect for the future and possibly the Tour next year. I really like his attacking style. He's spectacular. Was not so impressed with the riders that I wanted to see a performance from today. Romain Bardet was up there until it really mattered, faded away then as did van Garderen. Also would have hoped Leopold König could hold on longer than he eventually did...

Just watched the highlights programme, fantastic bike racing. Froome has got the edge on Bertie physically but I still think he's in with a chance of beating him at the tour by being smarter.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Sky need to have a good think about the team after this. It reminded me of last year's TDF where Froome was isolated early. Lopez was pretty anonymous last year as I repeatedly said. Getting burnt out after riding behind the rest is pretty worrying.
Nieve is a good rider and is used to being super mtn dom. Porte's form is still looking a bit flaky and he's running out of time. For Froome to consider him to be a possible plan B is hope over expectation.
if Wiggins rides a good Td Suisse he may throw a spanner in the works and it will make his non-selection political rather than form - whatever Sir Dave says.
Why is Kennaugh not here after last years superb support for Froome? Is he still knackered?

tigger

Über Member
Hmm interesting. As per Crackle and Thom for me. We all know Froome's the man to beat but historically (pre doping ban admittedly) Contador has always been a little short of his best at the Dauphine and peaks at the Tour. I definitely wouldn't write Nibbles off yet either, he seems to have a shorter peak form window than the other top GC riders, so that performance seemed about right for him too at this stage. The smart money is still on Froome but maybe there could a least be a contest come July...???

PpPete

Legendary Member
Chances of Nibbles downhill attack today?
profile-03.jpg

or is 37km too far to TT after?

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Why is Kennaugh not here after last years superb support for Froome? Is he still knackered?

No idea but agreed, he would be useful. I think they're missing Stannard too.

thom

____
No idea but agreed, he would be useful. I think they're missing Stannard too.
Kennaugh will be in the Tour de Suisse.

Shock horror! Perhaps despite Wiggos' Simon Fuller prompted assertions, this Dauphine squad isn't actually the final one for the tour.
Anyone might think he was looking to make the decision not to go to the tour out of Brailsford's hands...

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
If that is all down to pure natural talent and double espressos... well I have to admit that I'm starting to doubt.

This isn't a three-week race, and I'm sure Sky will have measured out exactly how much effort Froome can afford to put in. The fact that a decent but not explosive climber like Kelderman can keep up even though he'll be knackered from the Giro puts the performance in some context.

There's more context in the performance of Adam Yates - looking like a potential GT winner in the making but he's very young... He's had an amazing season so far but it'll be interesting to see how he copes with the rigours of the TdF, assuming OGE take him.

Anyways, I hope that someone will emerge at the Tour ( Rui Costa, Warren Barguil?) to make it real race...

You're concerned about Froome's performance but you're bigging up an actual convicted doper? Interesting.

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
What was up with the Lopez and Porte no show yesterday? Froome is lucky he had nieve with him.

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
If Porte keeps this form up he should not go to the Tour, let's hope Porte as Lopez are saving themselves for this weekend stages

Top Bottom