Critical Mass gone BAD!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

darkstar

I understand that, but with the substantial international coverage of the incident, would that not make any difference?

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I understand that, but with the substantial international coverage of the incident, would that not make any difference?
It will increase the chances of a prosecution but it is by no means a certainty. The level of corruption within large parts of the Police in Brazil is not comprehendable until you see it in action over there. It is part of the culture. The first time I was out there about 12 years ago, I was told if you murder someone it can be sorted for circa £2000, a smaller crime say drink driving can be sorted for £25 on the spot "cash" fine. It is the way things are sorted out. The prisons in the cities are full of destitute desperate people from the favelas who can't afford to pay their way out of trouble, people driving relatively new Golfs are not normally destitute. As i said sorry to be cynical and I hope they nail the guy but there is a real danger he will get away with it if he has the right connections and enough money.

slugonabike

That vid is seriously sickening, I really hope that this person is prosecuted for attempted murder and that the pathetic 'self defence' argument is treated with the contempt it deserves.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
It will increase the chances of a prosecution but it is by no means a certainty. The level of corruption within large parts of the Police in Brazil is not comprehendable until you see it in action over there. It is part of the culture. The first time I was out there about 12 years ago, I was told if you murder someone it can be sorted for circa £2000, a smaller crime say drink driving can be sorted for £25 on the spot "cash" fine. It is the way things are sorted out. The prisons in the cities are full of destitute desperate people from the favelas who can't afford to pay their way out of trouble, people driving relatively new Golfs are not normally destitute. As i said sorry to be cynical and I hope they nail the guy but there is a real danger he will get away with it if he has the right connections and enough money.

I know its similar in Mexico (family ties with Mexico). There are private militias hired to protect private interest, drug gangs, and business. They walk around in uniforms with guns and big knives, even turn up in vans and stop vehicles full of holiday makers to gather "taxes".

I do wonder, if he does try to pay his way out of it, his obviously unpredictable nature may be seen as a liability by any militia in Brazil. Makes you wonder..

Tinuts

Wham Bam Helmet Cam
Would love to know how you argue self defence while riding into the back of someone. Let's hope it doesn't catch on in the UK!

pshore

Truely shocking. There can be no excuse.

At the end of one of the videos doing the rounds (not the one in the first post) it says something like 'and the police have not accepted it is attempted murder'.

I found myself wondering what the uk police would do in that situation. Would the driver, once found, be taken in for questioning ? I wasn't 100% sure he'd be seen as a murderer. That's a sad reflection on how our police treat cyclists.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Truely shocking. There can be no excuse.

At the end of one of the videos doing the rounds (not the one in the first post) it says something like 'and the police have not accepted it is attempted murder'.

I found myself wondering what the uk police would do in that situation. Would the driver, once found, be taken in for questioning ? I wasn't 100% sure he'd be seen as a murderer. That's a sad reflection on how our police treat cyclists.

I've got to be honest I would have a damn site more faith in the British police to prosecute this as attempted murder or GBH with intent than their Brazillian counterparts. I just hope that there is an appropriate prosecution in Brazil and that political might comes to bear on the police and prosecutors to avoid what could be seen by the international media as a huge injustice if it is not dealt with.

colinr

Would love to know how you argue self defence while riding into the back of someone. Let's hope it doesn't catch on in the UK!

No need, we already have the "sun was in my eyes" line for running cyclists down.

gavintc

Guru
Quite the heated debate on the comments board, same old arguments though...

Personally, I do not think this is correct thread to discuss the merit or not of CM. I think all of us believe the actions of the driver horrific, brutal and completely unacceptable and his excuses show a contempt for life that are sickening. If you want to open the can of worms that it is CM, I suggest you open a new thread and not one that will confuse true disgust for the driver's action.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Quite the heated debate on the comments board, same old arguments though...

One little character kind of p***ed me off on there. I clicked the report function long before I started replying but the web team havent been on the ball quite as much on there today.

Top Bottom