Critical Mass Rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I don't think so much (if at all) in the UK, but in other parts of the world the group have been involved in incidents of violence and significant damage to property. The moment violence is employed in the pursuit of a political objective it becomes terrorism, so the technical definitions are met (if not necessarily for the UK chapter).
There is no Critical Mass group. There are no chapters. I think you've probably confused it with something else. I'm sure some rides turn into confrontations and I've seen videos of some but the ones I've been on in a couple of cities have been lovely blissed out festivals as far as I've seen.

The Home Office Counter Terrorism Directorate appear to have completely lost the plot.

classic33

Leg End Member
In which case, who are Critical Mass London?

On both facebook and twitter.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Critical Mass appears to be a loose association of similarly minded individuals without any hierarchy or named leaders.

Much like terrorist groups in terms of organisation, or lack of it.

You cannot expect the Home Office Counter Terrorist Directorate to ignore a group just because you happen to agree with their objectives.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Critical Mass appears to be a loose association of similarly minded individuals without any hierarchy or named leaders.

Much like terrorist groups in terms of organisation, or lack of it.

You cannot expect the Home Office Counter Terrorist Directorate to ignore a group just because you happen to agree with their objectives.
And yet they're not listing all the similar political campaigns on other topics, are they?

While they're listing even Greenpeace, which does have named leaders, identifiable structure and all that, this doesn't look like it's about corporate structure! It's probably someone in the HO trying to please the landslide and losing the plot.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I walk my dogs on the local common. Particularly at the weekend I meet many of the same regulars, all of a generally similar mind. It’s just a loose association, nobody arranges the time or the route, but there is a shared purpose. Many of us don’t even know each other’s names, although we do know their dogs. Grooming is occasionally mentioned. There’s even an informal uniform: muddy boots, tatty waterproof jacket, pockets stuffed with biodegradable poo bags. Sometimes one or other of us may interfere with people’s transport choices by advising errant MTBers to slow down and stay on the bridleways rather than the footpaths.

I wonder what the Home Office thinks of us.

It's absurd that those who are vocal enough to express support for these good natured causes (by my moral judgement at least) are to be referred to deradicalisation schemes. Of course, there is very little risk that anyone who follows, supports or participates in these groups will begin to participate in domestic terrorism, the social contract is strong in the UK, we don't routinely go out and call for harm to other's or their property. The Home Office are not stupid, they know exactly what they are doing, this is about undermining credibility of these bening movements. They make individuals question themselves, is it worth being seen to support an 'outgroup'. It is also an orchestrated and deliberate move to bring shame on supporters, listing them alongside dangerous fascist and neo-nazi groups plotting violent acts. Being listed alongside such groups by a recognised authority creates social stigma, it means that others less apt at critical thinking can dismiss claims made by these groups out of hand without grappling with reasoned argument. I do believe it is a somewhat vain attempt to stem the tide of public opinion on matters that might shift balance of power in the status quo. There is clearly potential that social change may lead to vested interests in industries being crippled by the end of fossil fuel extraction and motor manufacturing, all of which are doing untold harm to our society, unborn generations and our ecosystems. Of course, there are good reasons to defend those industries too. But those cases grow weaker every day.

Whilst things are not quite as bad as they are elsewhere, here are clear signs that our civic institutions are captured and ruled by interests of corporate greed. It's a weak excuse to cast sweeping judgment to decentralised movements, whom are loosely associated with individuals who are prepared to vandalise property. That does not mean that everyone else in that movement is a terror risk, worthy of being referred to deradicalisation schemes. This is clearly about shaming individuals participating or stopping movements gaining momentum. Don't fall for the tripe peddled in the media. If these were groups that openly advocate sabotage, or risk to life, I might have some sympathy.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I walk my dogs on the local common. Particularly at the weekend I meet many of the same regulars, all of a generally similar mind. It’s just a loose association, nobody arranges the time or the route, but there is a shared purpose. Many of us don’t even know each other’s names, although we do know their dogs. Grooming is occasionally mentioned. There’s even an informal uniform: muddy boots, tatty waterproof jacket, pockets stuffed with biodegradable poo bags. Sometimes one or other of us may interfere with people’s transport choices by advising errant MTBers to slow down and stay on the bridleways rather than the footpaths.

I wonder what the Home Office thinks of us.

Have you caused punch-ups needing significant public order policing?

If the answer is 'no', that could be why you've yet to attract Home Office interest.

Some dog walkers have caused punch-ups. So why aren't they listed?
Exactly. The dog walkers are not uniformly politically motivated, except for their shared interest of dog walking. Of course, the mainstream media would have you believe that Extinction Rebellion for instance, are a bunch of marxists revolutionaries, but in reality they a disparate group falling all over the political spectrum, yes even on the right, these are just individuals who are brought together by their shared interest, a liveable planet. Critical mass doesn't get the same attention, but no doubt it's similarly portrayed as a left wing menace, because, as I explain in my post above, it undermines credibility, and permits arguments to be dismissed out of hand by those who don't pay attention to the detail, in a world where big issues are drip fed to us via news bulletins and 30 second sound bites, this is a very effective strategy for sowing division & stifling necessary but unwanted change. Intentional or not, it has all has huge effect on public opinion.

For anyone who is interested in this, I strongly recommend having a good read of Edward Bernays take on Propaganda, aka influencing the electorate:
http://www.historyisaweapon.org/defcon1/bernprop.html

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Some dog walkers have caused punch-ups. So why aren't they listed?

I appreciate you are only trying to be smart, but you ought to understand the difference between a one off and regular occurrence.

If dog walkers routinely turned up en masse at public locations and caused punch-ups they would be listed.

I appreciate you are only trying to be smart, but you ought to understand the difference between a one off and regular occurrence.

If dog walkers routinely turned up en masse at public locations and caused punch-ups they would be listed.
But critical mass don't regularly arrange brawls on the UK's streets. Individuals need to be dealt with by the respective authority, the police. Tarring everyone with the brush of a radicalised loon does not make everyone safer. In fact, I read this morning that there will be report released on Wednesday on how Prevent is failing miserably at it's core objective.

Last edited:

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Have you caused punch-ups needing significant public order policing?

If the answer is 'no', that could be why you've yet to attract Home Office interest.
I haven’t, no. Sometimes things can get a bit frosty if balls get stolen but nothing requiring the Commissioner’s Reserve to turn out.

More pertinently, you presumably believe that Critical Mass have
caused punch-ups needing significant public order policing
Could you provide examples?

Top Bottom