Critique my kit list please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
More thanks
Just to explain, I cut and pasted that list from a spreadsheet. I know what the items mean, even if they are not obvious. So Neurofen in fact means Asda brand 34p for 16. Inner tube means 3 inner tubes

1 Once and for all, the pedal spanner will be left with the bike box in Auckland!

2 Electrical - I am being given a new camera for my birthday (all alone while I am away!) so I need to take the camera stuff. I will have my UK mobile, and a spare one in which I will put an NZ SIM card so I can call and text massively more cheaply. My three daughters are very concerned about me being on my own in way out places, so I place high value on contactability. One charger does both, and it is a French charger, much lighter than the UK ones. The Ipod will provide some evening entertainment. These can be charged at many of the campsites. The total weight of the phones, chargers, Ipod etc is about 350g

3 Hygiene. When it says hand gel etc, this is not a 400ml bottle - they are tiny samples. I am looking forward to having a good shower and clean up every day, including a shave. The small bottle of King of Shaves serum and 3 razors totals about 50g. All the things I have are travel size or decanted into small bottles.

4 Cooking. I have an existing Camping Gaz stove like this http://www.camping-online.co.uk/CAMPING-GAZ-STOVES,LANTERNS-AND-ACCESSORIES/CAMPING-GAZ-BLEUET-270-MICRO-STOVE.html and since many campsites have kitchens, did not want to buy a new one. The alu pot and pan set, along with plastic plate bowl and cup etc weigh about 600g. I could save about 200g by leaving a couple of pans out, but I want comfort and a proper meal at the end of the day, not an all in one meal brewed in a cup.

5 Bedding. Someone queried the silk liner. Nice if the weather is too warm for the bag, and more easily washable to save the bag getting too grubby too soon

6 Tent etc - the tent has a ridiculously lightweight base, so a groundsheet will help protect it. I already have a small rip in the floor. In retrospect I should have got a cheap and nasty but still pretty light tent from Millet's.

Summary - I am someone who likes comfort and keeping clean so these things are high on my priority list. A decent pillow is ESSENTIAL for example. I also like to be in a position where I can carry out reasonable roadside repairs. I wasted a day on a 6 day tour a couple of years back with a loose BB that I could have tightened if I had had the tool. Cable ties are extremely useful and on my last tour I used them to repair a mudguard stay and to repair a pannier hook. They also weigh about 1g each.

I have refined my list based on the comments, but there seem to be three main differences of view on my list

1 Those of an ultralight disposition, no shaving, no electrics, limited comfort, evenings out (if at all) wearing cycling kit

2 People who perhaps misunderstand my list and do not realise that most of my items are very light for their type (eg Prolite 4 Thermarest at 690g), very light down bag, very light North Face tent or saw the hygiene list as excessive. Suggestions like "bite nails" to save the 15g nail clippers are just not my style!

3 Disagreement on tools and preparedness to carry out repairs. On the one hand there is nowhere I will be going where I will be alone (lots of campsites even if basic), on the other hand there will be a 3-4 day stretch round the East Cape where a bike shop will be 150km away. Shops in NZ's smaller towns often close at noon on Saturday till Monday morning, so a major problem on a Saturday morning could well mean a 48hr hiatus. Quite a lot out of a 19 days ride and one I would like to avoid.

Many thanks to everyone who has given their opinion and I will try and update this in exactly a month to let you know whether I abandoned half the kit over a cliff in a fit of pique!

Jay

bonj said:
........but I'm probably going to get myself a tent and a stove and go for some weekends in wales once the weather gets a bit better.

I hope you're going to come to us for advice on your list of things, which bike you're riding and it's gearing, which tent and where you are going: Happy to help xx(:rolleyes:

Crackle said:
I hope you're going to come to us for advice on your list of things, which bike you're riding and it's gearing, which tent and where you are going: Happy to help :blush::smile:
Bonj, when you slap down your version of this OP, can you let me know in advance? I want to make sure I've got a comfy chair, popcorn and a supply of cold beers, because it's going to be funnier than a funny thing being funny. :thumbsup:

The only wisdom I can really offer is to treat this as a learning experience, be prepared to adapt on the fly and not to treat it as a test where you pass or fail. After the trip, have a debrief on what you needed, what you didn't use but might have needed, what you didn't need etc etc.

Because you'll be doing this again, won't you?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
1 Once and for all, the pedal spanner will be left with the bike box in Auckland!

Check your pedals, they might be able to be removed/ replaced using an allen key - all of my pedals are - more through good luck than good management I hasten to add.

3 Hygiene. When it says hand gel etc, this is not a 400ml bottle - they are tiny samples. I am looking forward to having a good shower and clean up every day, including a shave. The small bottle of King of Shaves serum and 3 razors totals about 50g. All the things I have are travel size or decanted into small bottles.

What's the King of Shaves serum like? Is it worth trying?

Summary - I am someone who likes comfort and keeping clean so these things are high on my priority list. A decent pillow is ESSENTIAL for example. I also like to be in a position where I can carry out reasonable roadside repairs. I wasted a day on a 6 day tour a couple of years back with a loose BB that I could have tightened if I had had the tool. Cable ties are extremely useful and on my last tour I used them to repair a mudguard stay and to repair a pannier hook. They also weigh about 1g each.

I wouldn't be without cable ties. They rival duct tape for immobilising things though they can't be used as tyre boots though I do know of someone who unsuccessfully tried to hold a tyre together with them.....

I have refined my list based on the comments, but there seem to be three main differences of view on my list

1 Those of an ultralight disposition, no shaving, no electrics, limited comfort, evenings out (if at all) wearing cycling kit

I don't do light weight - I'd find it easier to lose body mass than to lose equipment mass. If all the stuff fits in my panniers I take it :blush:

2 People who perhaps misunderstand my list and do not realise that most of my items are very light for their type (eg Prolite 4 Thermarest at 690g), very light down bag, very light North Face tent or saw the hygiene list as excessive. Suggestions like "bite nails" to save the 15g nail clippers are just not my style!

You could give your nails a closer than normal clipping and leave them behind....

3 Disagreement on tools and preparedness to carry out repairs. On the one hand there is nowhere I will be going where I will be alone (lots of campsites even if basic), on the other hand there will be a 3-4 day stretch round the East Cape where a bike shop will be 150km away. Shops in NZ's smaller towns often close at noon on Saturday till Monday morning, so a major problem on a Saturday morning could well mean a 48hr hiatus. Quite a lot out of a 19 days ride and one I would like to avoid.

There will always be disagreements about the 'degree of tooling up'.

Many thanks to everyone who has given their opinion and I will try and update this in exactly a month to let you know whether I abandoned half the kit over a cliff in a fit of pique!

Have a great time.

bonj2

jay clock said:
6 Tent etc - the tent has a ridiculously lightweight base, so a groundsheet will help protect it. I already have a small rip in the floor.
just repair it with duck tape.

vernon said:
Check your pedals, they might be able to be removed/ replaced using an allen key - all of my pedals are - more through good luck than good management I hasten to add.
M540s.

Abitrary

jay clock said:
shower gel
shampoo
hand gel
hand cream
razor
tooth brush
tooth paste
floss
shaving gel
nurofen
deo
nail clippers
suncream P20
lipsalve
wetwipes
tissues
Washing liquid
mozzie
plasters/first aid
sewing kit
flannel/sponge

Firstly, a toiletry bag load should fit in plastic bag taking about the same volume as a banana. All that stuff looks like a small panier load

Nail clippers? Do you think you're going to get lucky or something?

Shower gel / shampoo / shaving gel is all achievable with that Green Tea shower gel stuff, you can get tiny bottles from asda, and it gives a good shave.

Deodorant only makes a psychological difference.

No flannel or nurofen.

Hand gel, sewing kit... hehehehe, you're joking now

The only thing you're not thinking about is suncream properly. You'll need stuff for the back of the ears, nose etc, and weaker stuff for the rest of your arms and stuff.

That will set up back a good few quid if you have to buy it from expensive chemists abroad. If you're unlucky up to 50 quid over a 3 week tour

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Abitrary said:
Firstly, a toiletry bag load should fit in plastic bag taking about the same volume as a banana. All that stuff looks like a small panier load

Nail clippers? Do you think you're going to get lucky or something?

Shower gel / shampoo / shaving gel is all achievable with that Green Tea shower gel stuff, you can get tiny bottles from asda, and it gives a good shave.

Deodorant only makes a psychological difference.

No flannel or nurofen.

Hand gel, sewing kit... hehehehe, you're joking now

The only thing you're not thinking about is suncream properly. You'll need stuff for the back of the ears, nose etc, and weaker stuff for the rest of your arms and stuff.

That will set up back a good few quid if you have to buy it from expensive chemists abroad. If you're unlucky up to 50 quid over a 3 week tour

Have you read the original poster's update?

You might want to revise your comments after reading it.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Thanks Vernon

re the pedal spanner, I can use allen keys but have had problems in the past. it fits in my allowance and will not be carried on tour

The KoS serum is amazing stuff - 50ml bottle will do over 50 shaves. I have tried it and it leaves a lovely moisturised feeling. £4.99 at Boots. see here http://www.shave.com/store/prod/kos/kos_ug_ulx_s_um_info.stm?sid=R5J-ysZBZnAAAFkXS@Y

Arbitrary, thanks for the comments. Going undeodorized is not on my list of plus points about cycle tourists. I am not really sure how much faster I will go if I leave behind 32g of nurofen, and not sure why you tell me I should not take it. If I suffer pain or inflammation I will want some. I like to keep my nails cut short - nothing to do with getting lucky just personal preference. Of course, an unwashed and smelly cyclist with straggly nails is not going to get lucky, therefore reinforcing my reasons for looking and smelling good on tour. The sewing kit weighs 8g -useful for any minor problems.

The suncream I am definitely aware of. I have P20 which I have found superb, and to be honest the UK stuff for factor 30-40+ I have found less good value than buying outside the UK. I am told NZ stuff is good quality and value. I will also get in supermarkets rather than chemists

As an aside, am I unusual in being someone who showers etc daily (or more) at home, and wants to be as clean whilst away? Or are the people telling me the washing can be cut back on simply people who are like that at home, and do not understand that anyone can be different?

jay clock said:
As an aside, am I unusual in being someone who showers etc daily (or more) at home, and wants to be as clean whilst away? Or are the people telling me the washing can be cut back on simply people who are like that at home, and do not understand that anyone can be different?

No. I can't think of anything better after a long day in the saddle than a shower. One of the reasons I hardly ever wildcamped when touring :sad:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Cassette removal is best done with one of these.
Just as light as the official shimano remover, and you don't need a chain whip and big spanner to work it with.
I agree with the requirement for a reasonable range of tools and spares, and the original list looks good to me, assuming it's been checked against the bike.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
bonj said:
rich_p said:
Best bit of advice - Ignore most of Bonj's advice as I suspect he has little or no experience of this thing. He doesn't even know what a thermarest is! But I suspect you'd already ignored him
without looking into it I'll bet that it's something that someone who went on Dragon's Den has invented and convinced people they need...

The thermarest is the single biggest improvement in camping equipment in the last 30 years:biggrin:

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
OK, here is an update.

Firstly, I went for a 39km ride today (pretty hilly, strong winds, some head-on) a couple of heavy showers. The bike weighed a ton! however whenever I got my old tourer loaded up it always seemed stupidly heavy at first.

All in all I was very happy. I had to switch to the small chainring a couple of times on hills I would normally have managed OK on the middle ring, but the bike (new Koga Miyata) was solid and stable, and the Ortlieb panniers were great. Had to stop to fine tune the Ortlieb mountings, but all is now set up fine.

I have just been through the panniers ruthlessly and whittled out 1kg more or less exactly. Things like the ultralight windproof, have gone, one of the pans (still have one pan, a small fry pan and small kettle), Swiss knife replaced by sharp steak knife, small number of tools and spares have gone. Also several little mesh bags (eg pots and pans) have gone too. And the pepper spray.

The only other item I am giving serious thought to leaving is the running shoes. 910g... I would love to run a few times when there after cycling, but I may find a couple of beaches where I could run barefoot. That would mean I had nothing but SPD sandals for the whole trip. Not ideal if i want to go for a walk, but just about acceptable. I could always buy more shoes if pushed.....

Any views on sleeping bags? Mine is a Blacks http://www.blacks.co.uk/Tents-and-C...n-Bags/Blacks-Quantum-300/product/094527.aspx -weighs 1.1kg with the compression bag. I am not at all keen to spend more replacing it, but are there other options much lighter?

Finally tent. My North Face Vector 22 is 2.3kg plus 700g groundsheet (the base of the tent is feeble as hell, and I would be btter off with a different tent) Any tent suggestions, especially if spacious, light, and cheap!!

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I'm horribly jealous!! In a nice kind of way of course.

Personally, I'd always take one pair of normal shoes. I have some very light pumps type things and they're invaluable. Take the running shoes....

Percy

Not read through all the posts but I'll offer my advice from the quick scan I have had:

Pillow - I was away 9 months this year and bought a pillow after being away 2 months - really missed it camping and I agree with whoever said rolled up clothes don't cut it. Thermarest pillows are good (and yes, I saw the Thermarest debate too - I use one and wouldn't go back)

I also used cable ties while away and they were very useful for a couple of emergencies.

Sleeping bag - to go really small and light (and expensive) go with a down one. Mine's 600g I think and tiny, but expensive like I say.

My off the bike shoes were indepensible for me, but I was in rainy Europe and away for longer than three weeks and wasn't trying to go really light. In hot beachy places I only used sandals off the bike, but I see you have cycling sandals so maybe they would do - I've not seen/used them.

Tony

Hello again, Jay! Another one suggesting you ignore Bonj....
I take an Ajungilak fibre-filled pillow. I'm another who fids it makes all the difference for sleeping.
You've decided to take a kettle and leave a pan. I take two pans, with a lid that doubles as a frying pan. Boil water in small pan. Use to make tea in big mug. Pasta or whatever in the big pan, sauce to heat in the smaller one once you've made tea.

Bonj, what makes you think you'll be able to contact someone in case of mechanical failure? No mobile reception, no public phones, no traffic, no PEOPLE. I've ridden in places where it is 100 miles between spots that had a phone signal, and if there was more than one vehicle in any direction in twenty minutes it was rush hour. Bodging in those circumstances is essential.

Top Bottom