Croix De Fer 20 or Whyte Glencoe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
I have a CdF 30, and being honest, if I was restricted to having only one bike, that would be it as it does all I need it to. Room for 37mm wide tyres, disc brakes, pannier rack, mudguards, steel comfort, handles nicely.

beastie

Guru
I’ve got a CDF 20, it’s comfortable, handles really well, and looks the business. I’ve ridden it on some pretty rough stuff and it copes amazingly with everything up to single track. It’s awesome on bad roads or smooth gravel.

negatives.
1.it’s heavy
2.i get a front wheel wobble when I’m riding no hands so I don’t really do that too much

OP
OP
U
Prices seem to vary wildly.. Pre-lockdown you'd see earlier models going for this sort of money on ebay; as it happens I've just had a look and see a decent looking one in Edinburgh sold for £450 although most have gone for more. They do generally seem to retain their value well..

Before I bought my 30 I was tempted by a 20 as De Ver Cycles had the 2019 model (same as 2020 offering) at a grand; which seemed like a good buy when most of the used, more recent CdF 20s seemed to be going for ballpark £700 as you suggest. Iin the end I talked myself up to spending the extra on the 30.

The models vary quite a lot from their inception in 2011(?) to present (a frame geometry change around 2015 being a big one) and I did a lot of research before I jumped in, so if you want to know anything about spec / age tag me with a question and I can probably answer it ;)

I might hang fire for winter and see if the prices drop and if some rashly purchased lockdown bikes are put up for sale by their owners. Thanks for the offer and I may well be in touch when I'm ready to buy.

OP
OP
U
I have a CdF 30, and being honest, if I was restricted to having only one bike, that would be it as it does all I need it to. Room for 37mm wide tyres, disc brakes, pannier rack, mudguards, steel comfort, handles nicely.
Yes it does seem infinitely flexible and versatile. Plus I do like a steel frame, my existing two bikes are steel.

Top Bottom