Croix de fer - built up high spec

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossala

Guru
I got a croix de fer frame a while back, put what I had on it. Now I have done it up as best as I can, what do you guys think?

xJTDNv8.jpg

Frame: Croix de fer
Groupset: Ultegra triple (6703)
Brakes: Avid BB7
Wheelset: Kinesis crosslight
Finishing kit: Ritchey classic
Headset: Chris King
Pedals: Shimano Touring A600
Saddle: Brooks team pro Ti
Bar tape: Cinelli imperial leather bar tape
Mudguards: SKS Chromoplastics.

It weight 9.9kg including pedals, mudguards and bottlecage. I don't think that is too bad as the "stock" spec comes to 12-13kg (Or so it says on the net).

It's a beauty! Light too...especially with disk brakes (thought they'd make it heavier?)

OP
OP
fossala

fossala

Guru
I think building up myself for 1500 is better value than the stock one at 1150. For 350 more I have a much much better bike.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
I speed read your post initially and thought you built all that with stuff you had already- I wondered what your garage must have been like! lol.
Looks very nice- hope we get a summer for you to enjoy it!

OP
OP
fossala

fossala

Guru
I speed read your post initially and thought you built all that with stuff you had already- I wondered what your garage must have been like! lol.
Looks very nice- hope we get a summer for you to enjoy it!
It's Cornwall, I bought it to be ready!

potsy

Rambler
Very nice fossola :thumbsup:

Are those pedals the single sided spd's? If so di they stay right side up or do you have to flip them over when you want to clip back in?

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I got a croix de fer frame a while back, put what I had on it. Now I have done it up as best as I can, what do you guys think?

xJTDNv8.jpg

Frame: Croix de fer
Groupset: Ultegra triple (6703)
Brakes: Avid BB7
Wheelset: Kinesis crosslight
Finishing kit: Ritchey classic
Headset: Chris King
Pedals: Shimano Touring A600
Saddle: Brooks team pro Ti
Bar tape: Cinelli imperial leather bar tape
Mudguards: SKS Chromoplastics.

It weight 9.9kg including pedals, mudguards and bottlecage. I don't think that is too bad as the "stock" spec comes to 12-13kg (Or so it says on the net).

That is a superb bike..Amazingly light for discs and brooks saddle. I am jealous^_^

OP
OP
fossala

fossala

Guru
Very nice fossola :thumbsup:

Are those pedals the single sided spd's? If so di they stay right side up or do you have to flip them over when you want to clip back in?
I haven't had the opportunity to test them much yet. I can't ride the bike as there is a missing ring on the non drive side of the chainset. Looking in my hallway, they are facing close to how spd-sl do. Don't know if that is just luck though.

P.H

Über Member
That's lovely and there's nothing to match having a bike just as you want it, doing that from the start rather than early upgrading usually proves better value as well.
I'm trying to see where the weight has been lost, the tyres must account for a fair chunk of it, is it a much lighter wheelset? Is an Ultegra triple any lighter than a Tiagra compact? 2 - 3 kg is a big saving, congrats, and the Ritchey finishing kit sets it off well:smile:

OP
OP
fossala

fossala

Guru
That's lovely and there's nothing to match having a bike just as you want it, doing that from the start rather than early upgrading usually proves better value as well.
I'm trying to see where the weight has been lost, the tyres must account for a fair chunk of it, is it a much lighter wheelset? Is an Ultegra triple any lighter than a Tiagra compact? 2 - 3 kg is a big saving, congrats, and the Ritchey finishing kit sets it off well:smile:
The wheelset comes in at 1800g. Tiagra groupset is close to 3kg IIRC my ultegra is 600g lighter. I would guess the finishing kit is also lighter but only by a little. I'll run it down my LBS and get them to weigh it on their scales. They also stock croix de fer (stock) so will get one of them weighed up as well.

Top Bottom