Cross chaining

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
I was always advised to run a derailleur chain as straight as possible whatever gear arrangement I am in, thus avoiding unnecessary wear and tear on the chain links and sprocket teeth. I've worked on what I call the 'rule of threes', i.e., if on the big chainring, stay on the top three sprockets on the cassette / freewheel, middle chainring, the middle three sprockets etc.. But with the huge leaps and bounds in cycle drivetrain techno, does this guidance still apply - ? I read somewhere recently that apparently it is less important and I commonly see road bikes being ridden completely cross chained, i.e., big chainring and bottom gear on a nine speed cassette.

It is still "important" if you care about chain wear and drivetrain efficiency. When cross-chaining, the drivetrain sounds different from when riding nice and straight-on. Groupset manufacturers have been working hard at selling the 11 x 1 setup on cross-country MTBs and it very co-incidental that the "it doesn't matter" message and the "buy a 11 x 1 MTB message" coincided.

The question, I suppose, is, does it matter? I personify my equipment and feel its pain. One day they'll make a pill for it but until then, it matters.

lpretro1

With compact cranksets there are usually a trim facility to accommodate riding in one ring & using the full range of the cassette

With compact cranksets there are usually a trim facility to accommodate riding in one ring & using the full range of the cassette
Also with triples, and its not just compacts as both compact and normal doubles would use the same left shifter, in a given group set.
I will use all my rear gears on my 38th front middle @Yellow Saddle to be honest it is really difficult to tell apart, apart from on the large rear, is this because I run a 12-23, thing is if I am down that low its not usually for very long, if it is I will drop down to the inner 28th, I do try and look after my kit as I don't have much money, and my chains usually last upto 3,000 miles + with what seems very little wear on the cassette. I would however not do largexlarge ect, but it has been known to happen.

Top Bottom