Crossers on the road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skwerl

Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
I know very little about crossers, and as I am looking at various possibilities for my next bike I thought they were worth looking at.

I especially like the idea of disks, and know that cross frames can sometimes carry disks.

I am looking for a bike that can have full guards, a rear rack and has fairly relaxed geometry - basically I have taken ages to come to the conclusion that I'm no speedophile, what I like about cycling is the feel of control and freedom, and doing my riding with precision.

A full on roadbike, like Gen, is too agressive for what I really want. I'm after stability, slower but precise handling and the option for a rack.

Do you think a crosser suits this description? I know what I am describing is basically an Audax machine, and I have been looking at the Thorn Mk3, but the idea of disks on something like this Focus appeals very much.

have you looked at the likes of Condor's Fratello (or it's Ti equivalent - forget the name).
I'm also looking for a road bike with practicality. The Fratello takes guards, fatter tyres (only up to 28 I believe), rack, etc. and has a more relaxed geometry but is still a road bike and will ride like one. Won't have the lightning response you'd get from the full-on road setup though.
Do you really need disks???

Dave5N

Über Member
No he doesn't. He doesn't need a 'cross bike either. He needs a tourer.

'cross bikes are for racing 'cross. Track bikes are for racing track. Neither are as suitable for the road as a road bike. Buy what you need and stop reading ill-informed Sunday supplements.

Nick1979

OK Dave, so can you recommend a good tourer that would make a fairly fast, comfy road machine and able to handle the odd light trail?
I am looking for such a bike as well.

Dave5N

Über Member
No, I can't or won't. Go to a good dealer.

Please don't think I am being difficult, but I am not in the trade and I wouldn't want to lead you astray.

Personally, I understand Dawes bikes are good, but please ask in the touring forum for a better answer than I can give you.

RedBike

No he doesn't. He doesn't need a 'cross bike either. He needs a tourer.

I know that traditionaly a CX bike and a tourer were very different. After all, One was designed to be used for just an hour. The other was designed to be loaded and used all day.

However, now here are a number of bikes that IMO are sort of both.
For example. I used to own a planet-x uncle john. Although marketed as a CX bike, it had so many mounts that it also made a cracking light tourer. I even had disc brakes on it for a bit (which aren't even allowed in a CX race!)

Losidan

I was thinking of a cross bike for commuting....80% of my commute is off road on canal toepath and bridlepath...I was thinking it would be a good alternative to my MTB......???

Or am I wrong?

urbanfatboy

Über Member
i have a Crosslight 4T, i use it for just about everything, put gatorskins on it for the GNBR, Ride off road and trails, towpaths etc. with Twisters, always feels right. I thought of getting a tourer too, but never felt it would add enough to current bike.

Knight

Dave5N said:
FWIW and for good reason, disc brakes are not legal in 'cross.

Now the cross season is starting again.....

What reason?

Top Bottom