Crossing the Forth Bridge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Many thanks aberal. Something like this?

Near the start of the route just North of Melville Street, Queensferry Road becomes 1 way northbound and the junction at Lothian Road is a bit of an ever changing mess at the moment. Currently I tend to take a right at Melville Street, turn left at the rbt/ monument ( this takes you over a short section of cobbles), turn left again on to Coates Crescent (tarmac your direction but cobbled the other); then go straight across to Canning St; turn left at the lights and then right onto Lothian Road (and back onto your route) at another set of light.

Out of town I'm less knowledgable but personally I'd miss out on Penicuik, go by Howgate and join the A701 at Leadburn, as said it's a fair climb, good luck!

Jack Strop

Near the start of the route just North of Melville Street, Queensferry Road becomes 1 way northbound and the junction at Lothian Road is a bit of an ever changing mess at the moment. Currently I tend to take a right at Melville Street, turn left at the rbt/ monument ( this takes you over a short section of cobbles), turn left again on to Coates Crescent (tarmac your direction but cobbled the other); then go straight across to Canning St; turn left at the lights and then right onto Lothian Road (and back onto your route) at another set of light.

Out of town I'm less knowledgable but personally I'd miss out on Penicuik, go by Howgate and join the A701 at Leadburn, as said it's a fair climb, good luck!

Many thanks HLaB. I've now adjusted that route.

tbtb

I use the ncn1 route as mentioned by HlaB. Actually, I didn't realise anyone else knew about it, so I spent 20 mins plotting it out and writing about it here before realising it was just the ncn1 route! :rolleyes:

Anyway, it's super-quiet, quite scenic with the Barnton mansions, and all tarmacked (the bit by the dual carriageway used to be a dirt path and you had to take long trousers for the nettley bit but no more). Non-cyclists are surprised I can get to the Forth Bridge in one piece but this is a really relaxed route; you hardly see a car.

I do avoid the a90 but the Edinburgh-St Andrews cycle goes that way iirc and it's great being in traffic with a big bunch of bikes so for 11 cyclists, I'm sure it'd be fine.

That looks fine to me, though I don't know the roads beyond Moffat. One exception - I would carry on up Queensferry Street and cross over to Lothian Road via the West end of Princes Street avoiding the Western Approach Road which is not a good road for bikes.
Each to their own but I prefer that short section of the WAP, much easier to negotiate as its light controlled as to battling up against a narrow street (jammed with buses), dismounting and crossing an ever changing awkward juction.

Top Bottom