Crown race tool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
Hi all
Just had Ms TF Dawes Galaxy re sprayed by Mario Vaz. Its beautiful, pics to follow.
Anyway I need a crown race setting tool. Any recommendations... there's plenty on offer on throwawayzon for not much. Or maybe there's one for sale from one of you fine fellows?

midlife

Guru
You you mean something to seat (smack) the fork crown race back in place?

OP
OP
Teamfixed

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
Yep
As it's a shiny posh frame now I would prefer the cautious route

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
Was going to say the above :smile:, if you are feeling flush some people stick a jubilee clip over the end of the pipe to sop splitting, or even tape.

The same multi-purpose length of threaded bar and various washers I use for BBs, spacing rear triangles and hanging rolls of tape on when not in use :okay:

midlife

Guru
I like the idea of a jubilee clip on the end

I'd wrap that in tape as well, Jubilee clips and the paint on bike frames are not a good combo....

OP
OP
Teamfixed

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
Needs to be an interference fit, and a sixth sense ought to determine if it will press on with a little persuasion. If there's any paint there from the respray, would suggest removing with a needle file :okay:
Yes Iv'e removed the paint. Feels like its a bit more than interference at the moment, going to try the pipe on it.
Cheers

When I was assembling my new bike. I walked into Decathlon with fork and crown race and asked if they could seat it for me. The Spanish guy told me that my appointment will be in 4 days time despite it being a 1 min job. Thanked him. Came back 4 hrs later knowing there will be shift change. Japanese guy takes my fork and crown race and slams it in with the tool for it. 15 second job. Hands me back the fork and says no charge with a smile. No explanation needed. You should see the widest smile ever of a customer leaving the decathlon store.

OP
OP
Teamfixed

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
I had to file the neck of the steerer a bit then as in pic I used the old headset cup and a bit of old vacuum cleaner tube to drive it on. Job done😉

OP
OP
Teamfixed

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis

Little jig made from a bit of hardwood to guide cutting the steerer down by 4mm as the new stack height is less.

Top Bottom