Crud RoadRacer Mk2 Mudguard Set

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

trio25

Über Member
That seems odd. How/where are they breaking? I have 2 sets and they've been trouble free for several months. Broke one of the front ones last week, but that only happened due to the significant amount of toe overlap and a momentary lapse from me. Only £6.50 for a replacement part though - with any other 'guards it would have meant a whole new set.

Forgot to say each of those two rides were 200km. Lasted longer on my commuter. As I say I think they are brilliant for what they are designed for but if I was buying a new bike it would take proper mudguards. Can't afford a new bike so these suffice.

BinBag

I am thinking about picking up a set of these, are they any good.

http://www.wiggle.co...guard-set/#more

Can anyone give me some feed back about these, please...

I bought a set in Aug 2010 and they've only just snapped on me - front went the other week when something got jammed, and rear a week later for the same reason. I thought they were good, but seeing some of the others with the fixed chrome looking ones do tempt me, but as Colin J says below, it's a safety thing and I'll be getting some more now. If they last me another 7 months and I'm alive, then that's good news!

They do snap easily, but that's a safety feature - it really isn't difficult to make unbreakable plastic! The idea is that twigs and other debris break something rather than jamming in the mudguard and locking your wheel.

I had a conversation with another cyclist once about mudguards. He wouldn't use them because his best mate had been killed going over the bars when his front mudguard got jammed by a Coke can he'd ridden over.

I'd prefer to pay for replacement mudguard parts than for new teeth or someone else having to pay my funeral expenses!

monnet

Guru
As I said earlier I've had the Mk1s and Mk2s. Both on for a full winter of pretty hard training (admittedly not for commuting/every day use) and the only thing to go vaguely wrong was me going over on some black ice and the rear tail snapping off - damage? One lost screw.

I had a set of mark 1's and never had a problem, then sold them when the mark 2's came out and bought a set of them.
I always found the mark 1's very good, (but inevitably still a tad fiddly), and I still use a set when the need arises, but when I upgraded to the mark 2's I simply could not get the rear one to fit right on my Focus Cayo Pro.
I ended up returning the mark 2's and sourcing another set of mark 1's.
Guess I'll be back to the drawing board when I need a new set as I doubt I'll be abe to find any more mark 1's by then.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I broke part of my rear guard a while back by dropping the bike on it when trying to walk it through a narrow gate. I fitted the replacement part and no matter what I did, I could not get it to stop rubbing. I found out why yesterday ...

I was bike fettling and had the bike upside down with the rear wheel out. It turns out that I had missed the little hole when threading the ziptie through. It had gone round one side of the guard instead!

HCFC Clark

Hi, first post on this forum so Hello to you all!

I'm thinking of getting theese for my bike (Giant seek 3 2010 if that matters) but it doesnt have any eyelets on the front or rear, so will i still be able to fit theese mudguards on my bike?

Thanks.

monnet

Guru
My guess is no. They are designed to fit road bikes with very tight clearances. In fact I'm pretty sure you'd struggle to fit them with anything bigger than a 23mm tyre, a quick google would seem to indicate your bike runs 32s. I may, of course, be entirely wrong!

HCFC Clark

Yep thats correct, 700x32mm.

If theese won't fit, does anyone know any guards that will fit? I'm struggling to find some and any help is appreciated.

Sorry for going off topic.

BinBag

Yep thats correct, 700x32mm.

If theese won't fit, does anyone know any guards that will fit? I'm struggling to find some and any help is appreciated.

Sorry for going off topic.

You should be ok with the Mk2's - I'm on my second set. They attach to your fork and rear 'fork' by hard wearing rubber bands, no eye holes required - if that's what you mean?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You should be ok with the Mk2's - I'm on my second set. They attach to your fork and rear 'fork' by hard wearing rubber bands, no eye holes required - if that's what you mean?
I've seen quite a few people posting that they couldn't get 28s to fit, let alone 32s. It's not enough to have the clearance if the tyre is too wide to fit within the guard without rubbing.

My advice is check (using an allen key) that you have at least 4 mm (preferably 5+ mm) clearance under the brakes and between rear tyre and seat tube. That's for tyres that are 25s or smaller.

If you have 28s or bigger, it's going to be a tight fit across the width. You can have a go, but it might be better to borrow a pair of Roadracers off someone and try them out before buying your own.

madguern

I had these all winter on my allez with no problems as all, the only issue I had was losing the screws and being cackhanded one day fitting. I see now however that you can order spares from their site so will be ready for winter. Apart from that really good and a recommended purchase.

Apeman

Über Member
Best things ever to put on a bike. I have mine on for over two years and folks dont even notice them. The mk2 are longer at the rear and are designed to keep crap off the front derailleur. Top job!

HCFC Clark

I've seen quite a few people posting that they couldn't get 28s to fit, let alone 32s. It's not enough to have the clearance if the tyre is too wide to fit within the guard without rubbing.

My advice is check (using an allen key) that you have at least 4 mm (preferably 5+ mm) clearance under the brakes and between rear tyre and seat tube. That's for tyres that are 25s or smaller.

If you have 28s or bigger, it's going to be a tight fit across the width. You can have a go, but it might be better to borrow a pair of Roadracers off someone and try them out before buying your own.

My bike has disc brakes, so does this mean I definately cannot use them?

Glover Fan

Just to add my two penneth, I took delivery of a set today and am very pleased with them. Took me an hour to fit them and they work just fine on my Focus Cayo 105, i'm not sure this is the norm, but i've got some spare screws and small tails that are left over, i'm not sure this is a new thing, but will be sure handy to have around!

I went for a 30 mile ride just now and saw no issue apart from a tiny bit of rubbing which left a darkish line on my front tyre, nothing a little bit of tweaking tomorrow wont sort. Am thinking I might just keep them on permanently as after a while I forgot they were even on!

Perfect timing aswell....Rain forecast for the audax i'm doing on Saturday!!!

For the record, i'm running 23c Schwalbe Luganos.

Top Bottom