Crud RoadRacer Mk2 Mudguard Set

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I am thinking about picking up a set of these, are they any good.

http://www.wiggle.co...guard-set/#more

Can anyone give me some feed back about these, please...

I have a set and they are excellent lots of coverage, light and unobtrusive. I actually took them off for the first time this weekend due to the weather being so good.
They are harder to fit than Raceblades but they really do keep the bike clean and spray off you.
Thumbs up from me. :thumbsup:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If they fit your bike and are set up properly - yes! You need at least 4 mm (preferably 5 mm) clearance under your brake callipers and between the rear wheel and seat tube.

I reviewed the Roadracers on my blog - see my signature link below.

I have them on my Allez and they work fine. They were a bit fiddly to set up, but nothing too difficult. I just managed to put the stays the wrong way round.

Only problem I have is that the end bit of the front one vibrates a lot.

They have done a good job of keeping the mud off when I take my road bike up the canal path.

monnet

Guru
I've found them invaluable this winter. Like Steve, mine were on an Allez. Also have the same vibration problem. I used the Mk1's last year but the MkII's are definitely better. THey're obviously a compromise but I reckon they're actually better at keeping the front mech area cleaner than regular full guards.

OP
OP
Moby Jones

Moby Jones

I would be looking at using them during the crappy weather and taking them off for the two weeks of summer we get here :tongue: , sounds like they will do the job then

trio25

Über Member
They are great as the only option, but they do seem to break easily. Mine are held together with tape....still can't see anything better appearing on the market.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
They are great as the only option, but they do seem to break easily. Mine are held together with tape....still can't see anything better appearing on the market.

If you go on cruds website they have a promise to replace any broken bits FOC for the cost of pand p.

I broke my front one when something jammed in there on a muddy road. The website tells you how many large first class stamps to send for the various bits.

(I had never heard of large stamps, they cost a bit more )

potsy

Rambler
If you go on cruds website they have a promise to replace any broken bits FOC for the cost of pand p.

I broke my front one when something jammed in there on a muddy road. The website tells you how many large first class stamps to send for the various bits.

(I had never heard of large stamps, they cost a bit more )

That's all changed now banjo, you have to buy the bits in little packs for £6.50 or £4.50 depending on what bits you need :sad:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
They do snap easily, but that's a safety feature - it really isn't difficult to make unbreakable plastic! The idea is that twigs and other debris break something rather than jamming in the mudguard and locking your wheel.

I had a conversation with another cyclist once about mudguards. He wouldn't use them because his best mate had been killed going over the bars when his front mudguard got jammed by a Coke can he'd ridden over.

I'd prefer to pay for replacement mudguard parts than for new teeth or someone else having to pay my funeral expenses!

trio25

Über Member
Mine seem to last one or two rides before breaking....taping them back together does work. I'm trying a new solution on ruby so will be interesting to see if it is any better.

amaferanga

Veteran
Mine seem to last one or two rides before breaking....taping them back together does work. I'm trying a new solution on ruby so will be interesting to see if it is any better.

That seems odd. How/where are they breaking? I have 2 sets and they've been trouble free for several months. Broke one of the front ones last week, but that only happened due to the significant amount of toe overlap and a momentary lapse from me. Only £6.50 for a replacement part though - with any other 'guards it would have meant a whole new set.

ChristinaJL

I had a set on my road bike all winter and they were great - no breakages and I ride over some pretty rough pothole-pitted bumpy lanes round here. Just took them off last weekend and now it's wet again. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom