Drive train set up too ambitious?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
I’m thinking of putting a semi compact on my compact chain ring bike and changing the rear 32T to a 34t.
Thinking is I can get extra speed down hill as I tend to spin out a lot on compacts but also on the super steep technical stuff we like doing I can easily twiddle away without the rear wheel slipping. I know to sit down & be smooth etc but we ride lots of these tiny steep back roads that are damp and mossy.
I have a long cage mech it’s just would the ratios run properly thinking of chain length and angles. In my mind you should just get away with it but I don’t want the chain dropping or drooping in lower gears. What do you think?

Go for it. I've swapped out chaingrings and cassettes a few times over the year and AFAIC as long as you have your chain length right (Park tools have a good guide there) there's not to much to it.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
It worked well for me when I put an 11-40T on the rear and a 38T on the front. I did need a hanger extender but don't think you will for 34T
No the R8000 long cage mech is suited to 34. Probably unofficially take a 36. I will try it, should be good for all terrain. I was trying to chase a mate down in a decent tail wind and frustratingly span out, it was only slightly down hill too.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
If I've understood right, you want to put a subcompact (something like 46/30?) onto a drivetrain that already has a compact (50/34). If I've got that right, then you might want to have a look at this thread here. https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/mullet-drivetrain-conversion.285302/ in which @rivers went one step further put 46/30 on the front and 11-42 (I think) on the back. So significantly more extreme than what you want to do but interesting reading on the art of what's possible.

If I've not understood right. Just ignore me.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
SEMI compact; something like a 52/36? :whistle:

Ah ... I mis-read it (as Sub, not semi) Ignore me. It all makes a bit more sense now. The references to spinning out seemed a bit weird, but they don't any more.

Anyway, just figure out the required mech capacity (big ring+big sprocket-small ring-small sprocket), compare it with the published capacity of the mech, and if your mech is OK, then OK. If it's just a bit short, then cross your fingers.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Spinning out on a 50 x 11/12 ? Is that what you are saying ?

50x11 @100 rpm is 57.3 km/h 35.6 mph
50x11 @110 rpm is 63.0 km/h 39.2 mph

50x12 @100 rpm is 52.5 km/h 32.6 mph
50x12 @110 rpm is 57.8 km/h 35.9 mph

Assuming spin-out is somewhere over 110, but 100 is controlled.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Yes 50/34 great for up hill but bad for down hills and tail winds. Especially chasing a big powerful club mate.

Venod

Eh up
I have one bike with 52/36 and 12- 34 11speed on the back, I never spin out, but I wouldn't with a 50 - 11 either.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
I have one bike with 52/36 and 12- 34 11speed on the back, I never spin out, but I wouldn't with a 50 - 11 either.

My bike will be same as yours then. Find some long steep hills and try to sprint down. Easy to spin out. I know many who don’t like going down fast though, and some are very strong riders.

Top Bottom