Crunching knee

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
:sad: Many thanks, I was hoping would be nothing but new with my luck it would be more. Especially after just purchasing a new bike its about right for my luck !!! Secondhand unused Mason anyone :laugh:
Im guessing cycling & running best avoided till had it checked ?
Cycling I always found to be quite kind, don't run but walking too far hurt for days later. I'm referring to the knee that's now been replaced by the way, maybe keep Cycling but lay off the running? If where you live is anything like here it's nigh on impossible to even see a Doc.

OP
OP
T

Tripster

The physio (not a doc) attached to my quacks called back for a triage. He says its perfectly normal and without pain, swelling, locking, giving way then its nothing to be worried about and he felt reassured its just normal ageing. Keep actuve so long as no pain or swelling afterwards and unless it gets worse then dont worry :blush: I did say it aches underneath after long hikes up hill but said its to be expected as you age .........

vickster

Legendary Member
After your runs or long cycles, make sure you stretch properly - all of the leg muscles, including glutes and hip flexors and lower back. If it aches, ice it to control any minor inflammation :okay:
I find Voltaren gel useful for sore areas (assuming you don't have contraindications)

vickster

Legendary Member
Could be Cartilage damage, I had a tear yrs back which gave those symptoms. Unfortunately keyhole was required to sort that out, I also had a Total Knee Replacement end of 2019 due to an injury in 1990 which was the other one. I would try and get a referral to a knee consultant if you can and take it from there, might just need a bit of a clean out.
How old were you when you got the TKR by the way?

sheddy

Legendary Member
Always worth trying some simple daily exercises. Do em when washing up, cleaning teeth, on the throne etc.*

* But not at the same time.

PK99

Legendary Member
Yeah February last year our healthcare at work was changed so no more knees, hips on the company. It’s become so audible that it began worrying me. Will try GP for a referral just to start the process and then the physio sounds good advice but all closed here at present. Definitely go as soon as they reopen.

I'd check that if I were you. Maybe Knee/Hip replacement is off the list but this sort of maintenance work or access to a physio may not be. No harm in checking.

How old were you when you got the TKR by the way?
54, I had quite a bad motorcycle injury when I was 24 which badly damaged the knee joint.

Understandably I've had to wait until a bit older for replacement, best thing ever happened.

As long as you put the effort in at the outset and steer clear of infection the results are brilliant, I can walk for hours now and cycle as far as I want.

Fully recommend it.

vickster

Legendary Member
54, I had quite a bad motorcycle injury when I was 24 which badly damaged the knee joint.

Understandably I've had to wait until a bit older for replacement, best thing ever happened.

As long as you put the effort in at the outset and steer clear of infection the results are brilliant, I can walk for hours now and cycle as far as I want.

Fully recommend it.
Thanks, my surgeon hopes I can get another 10 years from mine (I'm 48) but will have a better idea of how much worse it has got since the last scope 2 years ago when it's done again. Arthritis in all 3 compartments and diminishing amounts of meniscus providing cushioning :sad:

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd check that if I were you. Maybe Knee/Hip replacement is off the list but this sort of maintenance work or access to a physio may not be. No harm in checking.
Insurance companies often won't pay for an exploratory scope without biomechanical issues (certainly BUPA won't), physio should be covered (sounds like MSK issues are specifically excluded from the OP's policy though?)

Thanks, my surgeon hopes I can get another 10 years from mine (I'm 48) but will have a better idea of how much worse it has got since the last scope 2 years ago when it's done again. Arthritis in all 3 compartments and diminishing amounts of meniscus providing cushioning :sad:
My advice for what it's worth, if finances allow (time off work) have it done as soon as you can because I lived with a knackered knee for 30yrs and it's like a new lease of life. I know routine operations are probably going to be on the back burner for a while but maybe a couple of yrs time push them, you won't regret it.

Straightened my leg out as well.

vickster

Legendary Member
My advice for what it's worth, if finances allow (time off work) have it done as soon as you can because I lived with a knackered knee for 30yrs and it's like a new lease of life. I know routine operations are probably going to be on the back burner for a while but maybe a couple of yrs time push them, you won't regret it.

Straightened my leg out as well.
I have private HC or I'd pay if needed :smile: (I've had no NHS treatment on it to date)
I am getting more knock kneed. I guess it's a discussion I'll have in the next few months. I'm functional at present (well was) so I will certainly try to wait 5 years if possible and I'm really not keen on the idea of all that metal xx(
Ankle will need to be tip top before I have anything major done to knee to optimise rehab (would want access to gym too)

Last edited:

Mines_a_pint

I had the same problem in 2015 after 40 years of running. On the way back from a long run knee suddenly gave out got home ice packed and rested for a couple of weeks, went out again it didn’t feel right so gave up running and got into cycling. Not had a problem with cycling and that includes regular rides of over 80 miles.
The only problem I’ve had was when I did a bit of dancing after a few beers but apart fro that it’s been ok 🤞

every knee is different & obviously we were all just guessing, sometimes based on our own experiences. freaking insurance companies, once they see what we need, they exclude the coverage. can't imagine the business I'm in making a living doing that. "oh is that what you want? no we don't do that anymore, but you still have to pay us"

vickster

Legendary Member
every knee is different & obviously we were all just guessing, sometimes based on our own experiences. freaking insurance companies, once they see what we need, they exclude the coverage. can't imagine the business I'm in making a living doing that. "oh is that what you want? no we don't do that anymore, but you still have to pay us"
Presumably the OPs company chose a cheaper policy with those exclusions?

Top Bottom