Cry for help - driver wanted

Discussion in 'Lands End to John O'Groats (LEJOG)' started by llahmit, 28 Feb 2018.

1. llahmit

llahmit New Member

Have planned a Charity cycle ride from John O'Groats to Land's End but our support driver has pulled out. We are travelling up to J O'G (from Exeter) on 2nd May and will complete the cycle at Lands End 10 days later on 12th May. We will spend 4 nights in hotels and 6 nights camping. We will pay for the driver's accommodation so the only expense would be food and drink. Others cyclists welcome to join us if you can provide a support driver !! Please message me if you're interested. Many thanks Tim

User19783 likes this.
  2. Dirk

Dirk If 6 Was 9

Maybe an ideal opportunity for someone retired?
    It's the sort of thing that might appeal to me; I'm sure there must be others.
    Unfortunately I will be away in the caravan at the start of May then doing our Tour de Dorset with friends straight after, so wouldn't be available during those dates.

3. I'd live to do this. But not at those rates of pay.

4. gavroche

gavroche Getting old but not past it

You are all tight fisted. 3 years ago , there was the same sort of advert for a 2 week trip to France in July, driver wanted with hotel only paid for. I applied and was accepted. I had the most memorable 2 weeks with excellent company and enjoyed every minute of it. Life isn't about money only, it is also about meeting others, complete strangers in my case, but well worth it.
    So, if you can spare the time, do them a favour, you might enjoy it too.

AnneW, Shadow, sight-pin and 10 others like this.
  5. PK99

PK99 Guru

hotels paid through France might well be attractive.
    10 days incl 6 camping in the UK in May paying own living expences- Ummm!

6. If I were in the UK and had the time. I would be happy to do it without pay. It would be a great experience. Whats wrong with some people?

AnneW, matiz, Welsh wheels and 3 others like this.
  7. gaijintendo

gaijintendo Über Member

Maybe if you mentioned the charity this thing is in aid of, you might soften a heart.

8. screenman

screenman Legendary Member

I have done it before when my son was in a team that broke the record for lejog, I would say a great experience for somebody who has not seen much of our great country.

snorri, Dirk, User45 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca Out-Riding the Black Dog

I understand all the above. I used to do the 3 Peaks every year and getting drivers was always difficult. They would also do food and hot drinks. They either loved it or hated it. Most years us lot also shared some of the driving too.

Personally I hate driving so there’s almost nothing that would attract me. The cycling bit no problem. The social side of it, no problem. I would be happy to do food, nutrition and hydration though. And setting up camp.

Ice2911, mjr and (deleted member) like this.
  10. AnneW

AnneW Über Member

If I had enough holidays I’d love to do it at those rates. I hope you find someone.

User45 likes this.
  11. iluvmybike

iluvmybike Well-Known Member

You said you'd pay for accommodation - what about fuel/wear & tear costs for the vehicle to be used?

12. MarkF

MarkF Legendary Member

I'd do it without pay and really enjoy it, but I aint giving up my holidays to do it. If I was retired then I'd jump at the opportunity.

User45 likes this.
  13. iluvmybike

iluvmybike Well-Known Member

Don't pre-judge - it was a genuine question - given how much fuel costs these days and the amount you'd use doing that trip

14. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Guru

I would presume that the vehicle and fuel would be provided and insured by the cyclists. It a request for a driver, not a driver and vehicle.

15. irw

irw Quadricyclist

Given the OP hasn't been back since they posted the message, they can't be that desperate!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice