CTC capitulation?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
http://www.ctc.org.uk/blog/chris-peck/cycle-safety-fund-and-bedford-turbo-roundabout-some-facts

As a prospective member, I am not going to join now....

Much as I dislike BC's image and (IMO) a 'helmets everywhere' promotion (from images on their website) I do like their Chris Boardman led campaign, so might join BC now....

Seems the CTC gave the nod to spend 20m of DFT cycle-safety money on a roundabout that does nack all to help cyclists as 'it was the best of a bad bunch'

The CTC are useless.
And anyone who claims otherwise is a fool.

BSRU

A Human Being
http://www.ctc.org.uk/blog/chris-peck/cycle-safety-fund-and-bedford-turbo-roundabout-some-facts

As a prospective member, I am not going to join now....

Much as I dislike BC's image and (IMO) a 'helmets everywhere' promotion (from images on their website) I do like their Chris Boardman led campaign, so might join BC now....

Seems the CTC gave the nod to spend 20m of DFT cycle-safety money on a roundabout that does nack all to help cyclists as 'it was the best of a bad bunch'
Yes, it's being the rounds on twitter and Chris Peck has been annoying people on the CTC forum.
I am seriously considering not renewing my membership.

snorri

Legendary Member
CTC along with BC.
This sort of thing crops up again and again in the UK where money for cycling has to be spent within a ridiculouly tight timescale or it is lost to some other project altogether, usually a non cycle project.

Last edited:
If it's a choice between a farcility that's s***e, or 'something else' I'd go for 'something else' every time.

Yep, in my line of work we frequently encounter the "spend or lose" situation - I mostly go for the "just keep the money" approach if it's gong to be a rush-job or to be spent on something ridiculous.

You can implement as many Dutch roundabouts as you like in this country, even if there was an unlimited fund to replace every one in the UK with Dutch style ones they would not work. The reason is glaringly obvious, unless traffic laws undergo a fundamental about face and give cyclists priority [in the Netherlands priority is signified by "sharks teeth" painted on the road] or their own traffic lights at major junctions, we can all forget it, it's pie in the sky.

oldstrath

Über Member
We all know what is needed, and we (as a nation) don't blink an eye at highways spending - so isn't it about time the spending that IS done is done RIGHT?
The trouble is that as totallyfixed points out, what is needed is not just more money, but an acceptance that cycleways should have priority over crossing traffic. That's the key thing that makes the Dutch 'cycle round the outside' method work, but would be anathema to our carloving politicians, journalists and judiciary. Its also the thing CTC should be pushing for, but they are too busy being pally with the buggers.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I had already decided not to renew my CTC membership, after their support for the awful "Nice Way Code" victim blaming BS.
This has made me even more sure.

oldstrath

Über Member
Here's another view ... We can debate the pros and cons until the cows come home, but the only way to gather some evidence of how it works in the UK is to run the experiment. Sometimes the results run contrary to expectations.
I agree, empirical evidence is a good thing. But we already have lots - surely the CTC should argue for building on that, not simply ignoring it and starting again?

Top Bottom