CTC : Chris Juden redundant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Actually I was reasonably heartened by the CE's letter. If it's right that the focus is going to be more on member groups and on supporting cycling, that's a sensible use of very limited resources. Given the timing of various announcements and press lead-times it was never going to be easy to put anything in this issue of the mag.

The CTC has been in a bit of a mess since well before the charity debacle. It strikes me as a fundamentally good group of people (I particularly rate Roger Geffen, and not just because he's an acquaintance) struggling with a sentimental legacy which is increasingly unimportant and hamstrung by a pseudo-democratic governance process. There was a member survey carried out last year, which I suspect has strongly influenced the changes.

I'm glad it still exists because there are still some very important things for it to do. It's a much better organisation for someone like me than BC (too focussed on the mamil),

swansonj

Guru
Actually I was reasonably heartened by the CE's letter. If it's right that the focus is going to be more on member groups and on supporting cycling, that's a sensible use of very limited resources. Given the timing of various announcements and press lead-times it was never going to be easy to put anything in this issue of the mag.

The CTC has been in a bit of a mess since well before the charity debacle. It strikes me as a fundamentally good group of people (I particularly rate Roger Geffen, and not just because he's an acquaintance) struggling with a sentimental legacy which is increasingly unimportant and hamstrung by a pseudo-democratic governance process. There was a member survey carried out last year, which I suspect has strongly influenced the changes.

I'm glad it still exists because there are still some very important things for it to do. It's a much better organisation for someone like me than BC (too focussed on the mamil),
Well, I'll say this for the CTC, it must be a fairly extraordinary organisation if it can manoeuvre @User and me into the same side and on the opposite side to you....

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
Actually I was reasonably heartened by the CE's letter. ,

The Chief Execs priorities are clear - he came to speak at our CTC member group AGM a few weeks ago. No mention was made of cutting technical input, but much was made of improving communications and growing the Charity from (IIRC a £4 Million charity to an £8M.Charity) Discussion since has been that his priority is his own career - Double the income of the CTC, chalk it up on his CV and move on to a bigger and better Charity job.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
His departure is a sign that CTC is becoming more and more like British Cycling and leaving no-one to represent the cycling as practical transport constituency.
Not quite no-one: there's Cyclenation (LCC, CamCycle and siblings) but there aren't enough of them and they don't yet have national coverage. They have a collaboration agreement with CTC and there was talk of ever-closer working but I wonder if this change of direction by CTC has affected that.
I think CJ's statement that there is now only one relatively junior member of CTC staff who was a member before they started work for it is very revealing.
I'm pretty sure some were members of other cycling organisations, but I feel this is a general problem across voluntary and social enterprises: we keep hiring mercenaries and giving them too much power, while neglecting the member democracy and education so the governance ossifies and no longer governs the organisation. Classic executive capture :sad:

swansonj

Guru

I'm prepared to make allowance for press lead times, but it's a little difficult to see how the lead time is enough to announce that the job is being made redundant but not to name the person concerned, or how it's long enough for a letter writer to pay tribute to him but not for the Chief Exec....

subaqua

What’s the point
Not quite no-one: there's Cyclenation (LCC, CamCycle and siblings) but there aren't enough of them and they don't yet have national coverage. They have a collaboration agreement with CTC and there was talk of ever-closer working but I wonder if this change of direction by CTC has affected that.

I'm pretty sure some were members of other cycling organisations, but I feel this is a general problem across voluntary and social enterprises: we keep hiring mercenaries and giving them too much power, while neglecting the member democracy and education so the governance ossifies and no longer governs the organisation. Classic executive capture :sad:

and they seem hell bent on segregation rather than inclusion.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
and they seem hell bent on segregation rather than inclusion.
No, they're after protection, but so are the other two, so that's not really a difference.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I've just ploughed through it, helped by a very nice Rioja that had somehow survived Christmas, like Signourney Weaver on the Nostromo.
I let my CTC membership lapse after the charity vote and reading all that does nothing to persuade me that I should rejoin.
I have to give that a like for the Alien reference

swansonj

Guru
My latest CTC membership card has just arrived and on the back it still lists a number for touring and technical helpline. Does anyone know what happens if you try ringing that number now?

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
My latest CTC membership card has just arrived and on the back it still lists a number for touring and technical helpline. Does anyone know what happens if you try ringing that number now?

He does have certain skills.......

hqdefault.jpg

Top Bottom