CTC membership problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simoncc

AS happened a couple of years ago, administration of membership is proving too much for those simple souls at the CTC. Check when your membership ends as you might not get a renewal reminder, and if you do crash into someone causing some costly damage or injury you won't be covered if you are no longer a CTC member.

thought thety'd got all that sorted, obviously not.
i was "not a ctc member" for a few days a couple of years ago because of the non appearance of the renewal letter.
the section whose competition i was leading at the time knew of the problems and that the lapse was unintentional so it didn't affect my points.
luckily i didn't need the legal services during that time.
this sort of thing shouldn't be happening, i was told you get a letter saying that your membership is due for renewal soon , then the reminder with the new card attached, i've ever only had the reminder.
it seems it's a pretty sloppy service , there are a couple of threads on the ctc website about membership problems.

Shaun

Founder
Happened to me too! :smile:

Got a letter yesterday telling me about the benefits, encouraging me to become a member again; which was strange as I hadn't had a renewal reminder and hadn't realised my membership had lapsed.

I do want to renew, but there's also no way of renewing your membership on the CTC website either. You can join, but can't renew an expired membership.

Think I'll just fill in the DD form this time so as to avoid any future lapsed membership problems.

You can guarantee though, the one time you'll need the cover is when your membership has lapsed!! :biggrin:

Fiona N

Veteran
When did people (members) receive the last CTC mag? I pay by DD and my membership is paid up until March but I haven't had a mag since June/July so maybe they've still managed to lose me.

OP
OP
S

simoncc

They seem to be in a mess again at the CTC. I emailed them about my membership problem over a week ago. They replied saying a card and renewal form has now been sent out. I haven't got it.

OP
OP
S

simoncc

They don't seem too bothered. All I got from my latest reminder email is an automated reply. If I can find the same kind of insurance elsewhere I might not bother with the CTC anymore - the magazine is useful for adverts but not much else.

snorri

Legendary Member
I phoned them when I had a renewal problem recently. The person I spoke to did not inspire confidence, but to my surprise the problem was sorted out.:wacko:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Fiona N said:
When did people (members) receive the last CTC mag? I pay by DD and my membership is paid up until March but I haven't had a mag since June/July so maybe they've still managed to lose me.

I got one last month and the previous ones were on time too.

OP
OP
S

simoncc

snorri said:
I phoned them when I had a renewal problem recently. The person I spoke to did not inspire confidence, but to my surprise the problem was sorted out.;)

Maybe phoning them is the answer. I've only tried email. Perhaps the CTC hasn't got to grips with email yet, or could it be that they prefer people to ring on their premium rate phone line?

OP
OP
S

simoncc

Still no membership card or renewal letter. Depite emails flying back and forth I've received nothing at all. Matt, the person in charge of membership has been on leave for a week and will be away until the 21st. Very nice. While he's lying on a beach somewhere, the CTC membership department displays its usual competence.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
From what I remember, the previous membership problems were because they had subcontracted out the membership admin to a load of numpties. If they've just picked a new set of numpties, it could be the same all over again.

It might be worth registering on the CTC forums and asking there. You do get your actual CTC councillors picking up problems sometimes.

OP
OP
S

simoncc

Maybe the same set of numpties chose both companies to run the membership dept.

Perhaps staying in Godalming was a mistake. A move to the north would have got better staff for the same wages. An opportunity missed perhaps.

bonj2

simoncc said:
They don't seem too bothered. All I got from my latest reminder email is an automated reply. If I can find the same kind of insurance elsewhere I might not bother with the CTC anymore - the magazine is useful for adverts but not much else.

Marks & Spencers are apparently good. Actually just home insurance, but it covers bikes when out of the house as long as each individual is no more than 4 grand, including accidental damage. IIRC the only thing it doesn't cover is accidental damage, that occurs IN the home, unless you go for their premium service which does. So it's effectively just as good as bike insurance.
My ETA runs out soon so i'm switching to them as long as they're not too expensive.

Top Bottom