CTC membership?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pigo

My original house insurance only covered bikes upto £200 or something. For an extra £12 per year they have increased that to £1500 per bike. They are insured against theft away from home so long as they are locked to something - even if its the bike rack on the car. I didn't have to specify the bike & they dont ask for specific locks to be used.
This is purely bike insurance & doesn't cover any third party liability.
Give your house insurers a ring to see if they can give you an improved offer.

billy1561

BB wrecker
Mine was covered as part of my house insurance up to £1000 so just cost me an extra £3 for an extra 100 quid on the bike value.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I've got four bikes with a total value of £8000 on the house insurance for about £100 a year. And that includes 'if I take the bike to Beirut, crash it, and it's all my fault, am I covered?' 'Yes'

Third party insurance is a different thing, and an absolute must. Join the CTC through an affiliate for £15 and get the discounts a membership card brings you, along with all those yummy rides.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Make sure your poilcy covers "Away from home". That is where you have the biggest chance of your bike going missing.

Steve

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
As several people upthread have mentioned, the insurance you might join the CTC* or British Cycling for is 3rd party cover. I'd say it's rather silly to venture on to the roads without basic cover like that. Additional cover for you or your bike is a different matter.

*or any recommended affliated club, of course.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
If your bike's worth much more than 1k, then M&S might be the only household policy that'll cover it
It's not. Other household policies are available - you just need to know where to look*. We have one bike insured for more than dellzeqq's four combined on ours...

*The magic words in insurance speak are "High Net Worth". Which also means expensive**, but gold-plated cover.

**Unless you're lucky enough to get staff discount.

Top Bottom