CTC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Bollo said:
As for the CTC forum - my only visit there was apres videoed accident, when somebody had linked me in from here. I received some criticism for cycling too fast (about 15mph) and being too close to parked cars (about 2 metres away) so I exercised my right to not bother.

And yet you still post in the CycleChat commuting section where know-it-all road positioning nannies pontificate endlessly! Libertarian paternalism, anyone;)

wafflycat

I'd recommend to anyone that cycles that they join either CTC or British Cycling: silver membership at least (I'm with British Cycling). You don't have to be a cycle tourist to join the CTC and you don't have to race to be in British Cycling. Even if you don't take part in any of the cycling activities organised by said bodies, you get third party liability cover and free legal help in the event of cycling 'accidents'

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/site/BC/mem/fb/membership_benefits.asp

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4088

Young Un

i can get sliver bc membership free because our club is one of the recognised ones and im under 16 - should i get the membership and the free racing licence

oh and are the mags worth the £12.50 they would cost me?

wafflycat

Young Un said:
i can get sliver bc membership free because our club is one of the recognised ones and im under 16 - should i get the membership and the free racing licence

oh and are the mags worth the £12.50 they would cost me?

Check that it's silver and not bronze - it certainly used to be bronze...

Racing licence - seems to be free for the under16s - you'll need it if you are entering BC organised race events. From the BC website:-

"Access to a Full Racing Licence
A racing licence is normally required to enter competitive cycling events in the UK. Silver and Gold members may purchase a licence with their membership. It is free to under 16s and runs from 1st January to 31st December. The licence gives full access to ability categories, participation in national and international events, regional championships, National Rankings and National Points Series competition."

The mag? It's never been the thing that's clinched it for me, but if you're racing, it'll have relevant info in it.

gwhite

Über Member
peanut said:
don't bother. They never send out your membership stuff for months and months and the forum is modded by a couple of yobs who when they are not pontificating ,throw their weight about and issue arbitary lifetime bans to members for no reason other than they have the power to do so.:thumbsdown:

Why do I have this sneaky feeling that we may not be getting the whole story?

wafflycat

It's no secret that, regretfully, for some considerable time, the CTC has had severe problems in its system in dealing with new memberships. I've notified the CTC directly on a couple of occasions, and I know that simonLwhatevernumberhe'susingthesedays has tried to sort matters out in his capacity as a CTC council member. Originally it was due to problems with the organisation subcontracted to deal with new memberships, then, IIRC, it was handed over to a different contractor to sort out the mess.

peanut

gwhite said:
Why do I have this sneaky feeling that we may not be getting the whole story?

because any personal issues I may have experienced on CTC forum are just that ...personal. It would not be fair to name names and tell tales when those involved were unable to put their side of things
I play fair if CTC mods don't .

besides something tells me you are probably only looking to flame anyway. Are you a Mod on CTC ?:thumbsdown::tongue:

Bigtallfatbloke said:
Do they have hot lycra clad nubile females at CTC meets?

...I'm not big on beards and spd sandals

Here is one DA...

Ron_Beams1.jpg

My apologies - I am being naughty - that was a group called the Midweek Wayfarers from the South West London DA. The guy on the Recumbent was 99 and several of the group are in their eighties.

I just love the photo as it demonstrate the exclusivity of the CTC

The CTC is a "broad church" with all sorts, types and abilities so I am afraid you will get lycra clad nubile females along with the Beards and Sandals.

You may even get a nubile Lycra clad female WITH beard and Sandals - you never know!

Do you have a beard?
Do you get excited at the thought of cycleclips and cycle capes?
Do you consider any technical advancement over the last 20 years to be the work of the devil?
Do you like tandems?
Do you like recumbents?
Is anything more than 10 gears simply too much?
Do you wonder what this new wonder material 'aluminium' is all about?
Is carbon something you keep in your shed ready to throw on the fire?

wafflycat

User1314 said:
The problem is that these issues seem to have become institutionalised.

Oursourcing to third party call centres is not always (ever?) a good idea.

I can understand why hard nosed conscience-free businesses do it.

But a Cycling Club?

Plus it seems that the legal advice that the CTC provide is available on a win or no pay basis anyway by the legal company that supports the CTC's legal team. It also seems that they will support you retrospectively in the event of an incident anyway, if you join up.

3rd Party Insurance? What harm am I really going to cause on a bike?

I am now to be convinced as to the benefits.

EDIT: And the discount shopping scheme they have is also of no value to me as I can get stuff cheaper elsewhere anyway.

My husband got knocked off his bike and was injured (also bike damaged) by a hit-and-run driver. The legal eagle supplied by the CTC helped my husband obtain *substantial* compensation from the Motor Insurers Bureau: far more, I am convinced, than if he was acting on his own behalf or being dealt with by a firm that didn't properly understand cycling.

If, when cycling you are the cause of an 'accident' you can expect to be sued these days - that's when the third party liability insurance comes into its own. Much better that paying the bill than say, losing your home when damages and costs are awarded *against* you.

just jim

I joined in the summer for the reasons that wafflycat outlined and partly for the LEJOG pack for a summer '09 trip. The thought of having a framed certificate and splendid badge was too hard to resist. Membership pack arrived just fine, no problems.

I do not have a beard, but do have a shed.

I get C+ as well as the CTC mag...and...I think ...I prefer the CTC mag!!!!

Beard - Check
Sandals - Check
Recumbent - Check
Tourer (Steel) - Check
Tandem - Check
Shed - Check

Yes - I am a member!

peanut

Beard - Check
Sandals - Check
Recumbent - Check
Tourer (Steel) - Check
Tandem - Check
Shed - Check
members fees paid - check
membership card - No
Members pack - No
must be a member then :becool:

Seriously all clubs have their `shed people', anoraks and `blazer men' but I reckon the insurance and legal aid has to be worth the membership price alone.

Top Bottom