Cube Axial WLS GTC SL Disc 2017 V Trek Silque S5 2017 first road bike for a sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sausagedog

Hey Everyone,

I’m after some advise as confused and getting so much conflicting advise on what to prioritise on my first road bike from friends and shops. Larger female with a few stone too loose, I don’t want a too aggressive riding position. It’s been challenging testing a few bikes and im fed up now. I don’t find any road bike that comfy as not used to the new position and don’t know enough. Cleats are fab in spin, but a little scary on a bike but i want to try as soon as possible.

Newish to cycling, I ride a Trek FX Hybrid last year, enjoy long rides, we worked our way up to 75 miles last autumn but I am slow. It’s more the fitness and enjoyment of such a pleasurable day out with my friends. Have £1000 cycle to work scheme and £300 from Christmas, need my first road bike. We are flat out training as we have a century ride in the summer.

I am down to the Trek Silque S5 as looks a great choice or the Cube WLS GTC SL disc as a cycle st friend said I should seriously consider even though I hate the colour as for the money it has everything I need and a solid choice. I can’t find one n my size to try first. Both the same price in my frame size on sale at the mo.

Apologies for rambling, any advice gratefully received as I don’t know enough cyclist for some experienced advice. It’s a very large amount of money for me and I want to love it as much as I do my hybrid.
Thanks!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I don’t find any road bike that comfy

It's not compulsory to ride a drop bar road bike with clipless pedals.

So why buy one?

You are already doing pretty well on your Trek - 75 mile rides - so what more do you hope to achieve?

Possibly a bit more speed from a lighter bike, if I read your OP correctly.

There are plenty of flat bar bikes which are 'road bikes' apart from the bars, sometimes called 'fast hybrids'.

Also bear in mind there is no performance benefit from clipless pedals.

Some people prefer the feel of being more connected to the bike, but since you find clipless 'scary', why buy a bike with those pedals?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have to agree with all that Palerider says, a fast rigid (no suspension) hybrid or flat bar road bike might be more suitable. It doesn't have to have drop handlebars to be fast or to be great covering long distances.
At least half of all my 100+ mile rides have been done on my hybrid rather than any of the road bikes I own and my longest ever ride of 185 miles in a day was also done on the hybrid.
It isn't all about the bike. Comfort/bike fit, confidence and fitness are more important and there is no guarantee you will be quicker on a dropbar road bike by any great margin.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Agree with the above comments. If you like the comfort and configuration of a flat bar bike stick with it. It’s a lot of money to drop on a bike and you might end up hating the style and position of a drop bar.

There are plenty of ‘quick’ hybrids out there, like this: https://www.evanscycles.com/bmc-alpenchallenge-ac01-sora-2017-hybrid-bike-EV273280
Or this:
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Kona-Esatto-Fast-2017-Flat-Bar-Road-Bike_95353.htm
You can even get carbon framed ones:
https://www.evanscycles.com/cannond...ybrid-bike-EV239431#modal__product-zoom-modal

Last edited:

alicat

Legendary Member
Welcome to the forum :welcome:.

Don't buy a bike if you don't like the colour. You will be spending a lot of time on it and if you don't like the look of it it won't motivate you to go out on it/keep going when you are done in on a long ride.

If it were me, I would spend more time cycling before buying a second bike. Given you like long, leisurely days out, I would look for a relaxed geometry bike that will take mudguards from somewhere like Spa Cycles.

vickster

Legendary Member
What sportive is it?

And as above if you HATE the colour of a bike, do NOT buy

Perhaps look at something like a Genesis equilibrium which you can strip back for the sportive and add mudguards, rack for the leisure rides and training

How tall are you? Not a WSD bike but available in a range of sizes

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sausagedog

Sausagedog

It's not compulsory to ride a drop bar road bike with clipless pedals.

So why buy one?

You are already doing pretty well on your Trek - 75 mile rides - so what more do you hope to achieve?

Possibly a bit more speed from a lighter bike, if I read your OP correctly.

There are plenty of flat bar bikes which are 'road bikes' apart from the bars, sometimes called 'fast hybrids'.

Also bear in mind there is no performance benefit from clipless pedals.

Some people prefer the feel of being more connected to the bike, but since you find clipless 'scary', why buy a bike with those pedals?

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.
It’s people telling me I need one for the sportive and if I want to keep going with road riding and improving that I’m looking. I was advised no one ever rides hybrids on centry rides? I have no idea? You think I’d be okay with my Trek?
I really don’t see the slight weight reduction that helpful considering I could do with loosing more myself!

vickster

Legendary Member
It’s people telling me I need one for the sportive and if I want to keep going with road riding and improving that I’m looking. I was advised no one ever rides hybrids on centry rides? I have no idea? You think I’d be okay with my Trek?
I really don’t see the slight weight reduction that helpful considering I could do with loosing more myself!
I saw dozens of hybrids, mountain bikes, folders etc on ride London, granted less than roadbikes. You’ll enjoy a long ride more on a bike that’s right for you. Doesn’t matter what others say ultimately

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

Comfort and liking the bike is critical for a long ride.

You will see more drop bar road bikes on the sportive, but they are not for everyone.

Sportives tend to attract the weekend warrior lycra cyclist who must ride a drop bar road bike because, well, all those fellas in the Tour de France ride them so that must be the way to go.

Plenty of people on here do century rides on flat bar bikes.

@Littgull of this parish bought his (very smart) flat bar bike in Somerset and rode it back to his house in Lancashire.

You could certainly do the sportive on your Trek, assuming it's not significantly further than you've ridden already.

It's always nice to have a new bike, no one on here will criticise you for having one.

A flat bar road bike like the ones linked to earlier probably would give you a little more speed.

Put another way, it would give you the same improvement as a drop bar bike - whatever that improvement may be.

You should try a flat bar road bike, the riding position will be similar to your Trek so that will probably work for you.

The narrower tyres - which you would run at a higher pressure - means the ride may feel a bit harsher, particularly over rough surfaces.

If it has to be drop bars, look for something with a relaxed geometry which roughly means the bars sit at about the same height as the saddle.

As mentioned upthread, something described as a 'tourer' would fit the bill.

OP
OP
Sausagedog

Sausagedog

Thank you.

I had not even considered, looked or had enough knowledge that flat bar road bikes as an option. I’ve just been directed to drop bars. I certainly much prefer the positioning of flat bar.
I will have a look at some of the suggested bikes out of curiosity.

Yours and everyone’s advise has been fab so big thanks! It’s been challengin* when It’s just a few us cycling and limited friends with any advise.

I’m going to keep going with my bike that makes me enjoy riding and see how i am doing nearer the time. My sportive is the will be a big achievement for me and my friends whilst raising money for charity but I’m no weekend warrior in Lycra and will basically still mainly just like my days out with friends.

Thank you

Comfort and liking the bike is critical for a long ride.

You will see more drop bar road bikes on the sportive, but they are not for everyone.

Sportives tend to attract the weekend warrior lycra cyclist who must ride a drop bar road bike because, well, all those fellas in the Tour de France ride them so that must be the way to go.

Plenty of people on here do century rides on flat bar bikes.

@Littgull of this parish bought his (very smart) flat bar bike in Somerset and rode it back to his house in Lancashire.

You could certainly do the sportive on your Trek, assuming it's not significantly further than you've ridden already.

It's always nice to have a new bike, no one on here will criticise you for having one.

A flat bar road bike like the ones linked to earlier probably would give you a little more speed.

Put another way, it would give you the same improvement as a drop bar bike - whatever that improvement may be.

You should try a flat bar road bike, the riding position will be similar to your Trek so that will probably work for you.

The narrower tyres - which you would run at a higher pressure - means the ride may feel a bit harsher, particularly over rough surfaces.

If it has to be drop bars, look for something with a relaxed geometry which roughly means the bars sit at about the same height as the saddle.

As mentioned upthread, something described as a 'tourer' would fit the bill.

OP
OP
Sausagedog

Sausagedog

I have to agree with all that Palerider says, a fast rigid (no suspension) hybrid or flat bar road bike might be more suitable. It doesn't have to have drop handlebars to be fast or to be great covering long distances.
At least half of all my 100+ mile rides have been done on my hybrid rather than any of the road bikes I own and my longest ever ride of 185 miles in a day was also done on the hybrid.
It isn't all about the bike. Comfort/bike fit, confidence and fitness are more important and there is no guarantee you will be quicker on a dropbar road bike by any great margin.

Fab, thanks!
Working on the fitness to improve my speed and feel a bit of a donkey at my lack of knowledge but much better that I don’t have to move to drop bars and stay with what I’m happy, comfy and confident with.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Having just looked at your Trek online, you are wise to stick with it for the time being.

Assuming I've got the right bike, it has a rigid fork which is good - a suspension fork at this price point adds nothing other than weight.

You've correctly identified two things.

Your new bike - assuming you pay £750+ for it - will be lighter, but equally that extra lightness won't make a great deal of difference.

Put another way, if you were after a hybrid on a tight budget, this Trek FX on clearance from Evans would be a good buy.

https://www.evanscycles.com/trek-7-3-fx-2016-hybrid-bike-EV217060

OP
OP
Sausagedog

Sausagedog

Agree with the above comments. If you like the comfort and configuration of a flat bar bike stick with it. It’s a lot of money to drop on a bike and you might end up hating the style and position of a drop bar.

There are plenty of ‘quick’ hybrids out there, like this: https://www.evanscycles.com/bmc-alpenchallenge-ac01-sora-2017-hybrid-bike-EV273280
Or this:
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Kona-Esatto-Fast-2017-Flat-Bar-Road-Bike_95353.htm
You can even get carbon framed ones:
https://www.evanscycles.com/cannond...ybrid-bike-EV239431#modal__product-zoom-modal
Very helpful, thanks

OP
OP
Sausagedog

Sausagedog

Welcome to the forum :welcome:.

Don't buy a bike if you don't like the colour. You will be spending a lot of time on it and if you don't like the look of it it won't motivate you to go out on it/keep going when you are done in on a long ride.

If it were me, I would spend more time cycling before buying a second bike. Given you like long, leisurely days out, I would look for a relaxed geometry bike that will take mudguards from somewhere like Spa Cycles.
Thankyou

Top Bottom