Cube Axial WLS GTC SL Disc 2017 V Trek Silque S5 2017 first road bike for a sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Having just looked at your Trek online, you are wise to stick with it for the time being.

Assuming I've got the right bike, it has a rigid fork which is good - a suspension fork at this price point adds nothing other than weight.

You've correctly identified two things.

Your new bike - assuming you pay £750+ for it - will be lighter, but equally that extra lightness won't make a great deal of difference.

Put another way, if you were after a hybrid on a tight budget, this Trek FX on clearance from Evans would be a good buy.

https://www.evanscycles.com/trek-7-3-fx-2016-hybrid-bike-EV217060
Sounds like she already has a Trek hybrid. :smile:

OP
OP
Sausagedog

Sausagedog

Having just looked at your Trek online, you are wise to stick with it for the time being.

Assuming I've got the right bike, it has a rigid fork which is good - a suspension fork at this price point adds nothing other than weight.

You've correctly identified two things.

Your new bike - assuming you pay £750+ for it - will be lighter, but equally that extra lightness won't make a great deal of difference.

Put another way, if you were after a hybrid on a tight budget, this Trek FX on clearance from Evans would be a good buy.

https://www.evanscycles.com/trek-7-3-fx-2016-hybrid-bike-EV217060

That’s my bike fab fun.

Why don't you get yourself down to decathlon - their triban range of dropped bar bikes start at £350 - maybe cheaper in the sales- if you really don't take to to it you will recover most of that selling it on. - or pop onto ebay and get a used giant defy for £250-300
You can do anything on a flat bar bike - but what I find it that what is comfy for 10 miles probably isn't comfy for 60 or 70. If its a one off sportive then drops aren't required. However if you want to get into regular sportives - well most people are on dropped handlebar bar bikes.

As for clipless, I was like you , very nervous. What I did was buy platform pedals that have one side SPD (Wellgo make these) and some MTB shoes - that way you can pedal normally - but then click in when you feel confident or on quiet roads. ......go for it..

Top Bottom