Cube - Carbon frame BB Removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Guido22

Hello
I have two Cube mountain bikes - both are carbon frames:

Cube Stereo 160 Super HPC Action team / 2015
Cube Reaction 29 GTC Pro / 2012

I am reasonably mechanically minded and do all other maintenance on these bikes... but figure I should be able to replace the bottom bracket in each of these when I need to. My full suss seems to need regular BB replacement particularly with all the mud in recent months that dont do the BB any favours..

I have a crank puller but no idea specifically what bottom bracket disassembly and assembly tools I need for the job without going crazy spending a fortune (is that possible?). Also what BB parts are required on each..?
Can anyone advise ...

Thank you in advance.

Regards

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Hi there Guido22.
Depending on the make of BB you will need a compatible removal tool to unscrew the cups. Shimano, Campagnolo or Sram.
The drive side cup is reversed thread so undoes the wrong way.
Some bikes have push fit bearing cups though, so a little more detail about make and type would be appreciated.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
as above, if its a threaded BB shell / external cups then its dead easy and the tool is cheap, just select the right one/ size eithe a spanner looking thing with notches, or a fit over style to use with a socket wrench handle.

if its press fit internal bearings (were they a thing in TB world - i dont know) then you need a drift tool and mallet to whack them out and bearig press (can be DIY with thread rod and washers / nuts to put the new ones in.

the former is much easier and cheaper.

Jameshow

Veteran
I just remove the internal split ring and carefully drive them out with a flat screw driver.

I then press them into place with the press tool bb30 btw.

Put them in the freezer to shrink them first. Same with crankset.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I have the same Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 - it’s a press fit BB. I drift either side out with a punch and then use a bearing press (threaded rod type) to drive the new bearings in. You can do it properly by using a bearing puller to remove but I don’t have one.

Top Bottom