cube gtc pro 2014 or cannondale evo 6??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris Long

Hi,

Finally managed to get employer to do cycle to work scheme. I'm looking at either the cube gtc pro 2014 (always wanted a cube) and the cannondale evo 6 2014.

Cube has better kit, cannondale is easily upgradable with only brakes letting it down I think (tiagra not 105s). Heart says cube, head says cannondale.

Oh, you will laugh at my current bike as these will both feel like riding a Ferrari in comparison

I have the carrera tdf from halfords which is a real solid warhorse. It got me from John o groats to lands end in 8 days, and last year coast to coast in a day. But it's heavy, and the wheels take a lot of effort. So I'm treating myself

Slightly worried about cube frame sizes. I'm 5 foot 6 and I'm going for either 53 in the cube or 54 in the cannondale.

Any thoughts? Anyone compared either bike?

Thanks
Chris

OP
OP
C

Chris Long

Oh, and to mess it all up. Add to that list the giant Tec composite, 2013 model. Has full ultegra kit as opposed to 105 on cube, and 105 tiagra mix on cannondale

I have a Cube Agree SLT 2013. I love it:thumbsup:, and I think you would be very happy with it. I can't comment on the Cannondale though, but I do know they make excellent frames. In terms of size, I am 5'8" and I find the 56 a perfect fit so I think the 53 would be a good fit for you. I would recommend test riding first though.

OP
OP
C

Chris Long

Ah thanks. I think would go with the cube over the cannondale. Good about the frame size, confirms what I was thinking. And has better group set than cannondale. Guess it is a question of if I went cannondale I'd have to upgrade over time.

However, as I can get the deal on the giant composite 1, that has scuppered those ideas :-/

leyton condor

Veteran
I have tried the cube and the cannondale. The cube to me didn't feel like much of an upgrade from my 15 year old aluminium steed where the cannondale felt like the one for me. I suggest you go and try both and pick the one that feels like the best one for you. I am currently waiting for my work to sort out my cycle to work voucher so I can order the supersix. However as these things take time where I work I might go and check out that Giant your talking about :-)

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
Can't comment on the Cube, but I have a Caad10 105, and it's a fantastic thing.

Are you sure on the sizing? I'm 5'7" and normally ride a 54cm frame ( longer body, shorter legs!) but the Cannondale fitted better in a 52m frame.

OP
OP
C

Chris Long

My voucher is just waiting payment from the scheme, then good to go. Although some of these bikes are obviously over the 1000, but I'm topping the voucher up. Only the cube comes in below 1000

The giant is most expensive but then it does have full ultegra. I'm thinking from that point of view alone, with the cube having 105, and the super six mixing 105 and tiagra, if I have a chance to get the giant then that should be the one :-/ purely from a spec point of view

OP
OP
C

Chris Long

The careers I've been riding is small for me, 48, but all calculators and charts put me at 52 or 53. 5 foot 6 with 30 inch inside leg

Can't comment on the Cube, but I have a Caad10 105, and it's a fantastic thing.

Are you sure on the sizing? I'm 5'7" and normally ride a 54cm frame ( longer body, shorter legs!) but the Cannondale fitted better in a 52m frame.
The Cube sizes are very odd. I ride a 56 cube and my winter bike is a 54. They have exactly the same length top tube!

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Another Cube owner here, only got mine in the October sale, an aluminium Peloton Race, it's a fine bike with very good spec for the money.

I might be a little different in that I was recommended a size 60 by the store but went with a 58, my best bike is also a 56/57 size large & i am 6ft with a 32/33" leg & long torso.

Maybe I just prefer bikes on the slightly smaller scale.

The Giant won't dissapoint you, is it the TCR Giant you mean ? I think Tec might be a typo as i have never heard of that model.

Cannondale & Giant have a lifetime frame warranty I believe & are well respected by owners.

OP
OP
C

Chris Long

No, it is definitely Tec on the websites. Retailed at 1800 in 2013?

The thing with this cycle scheme voucher is the turn around time. I'm looking at January deals but the voucher could take longer. So, I think I'm decided on the giant due to the ultegra group set.

BUT if I lose the chance to buy in the sale I will go 2015 cube gtc pro, with the 105 group set. To be honest. I may even go with the cube anyway, like is said earlier, I've always wanted a cube. Not sure why, maybe the look...

Still convinced that 53 frame will be ok, if not slightly big for me which is ok. But there is a cube dealer in leamington where I live. May go down and talk to them on Saturday...

No, it is definitely Tec on the websites. Retailed at 1800 in 2013?

The thing with this cycle scheme voucher is the turn around time. I'm looking at January deals but the voucher could take longer. So, I think I'm decided on the giant due to the ultegra group set.

BUT if I lose the chance to buy in the sale I will go 2015 cube gtc pro, with the 105 group set. To be honest. I may even go with the cube anyway, like is said earlier, I've always wanted a cube. Not sure why, maybe the look...

Still convinced that 53 frame will be ok, if not slightly big for me which is ok. But there is a cube dealer in leamington where I live. May go down and talk to them on Saturday...

Hi Chris, sent you a PM.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Giant use 3 different grades of carbon on their frames/forks @Chris Long...

Comp = Torayca T600
Advanced = Torayca T700
Advanced SL = Torayca T700/T800

T800 being the lightest grade used by Giant.

The Comp grade frame is barely much lighter than a good aluminium frame & in fact some alu frames from Specialized & Cannondale/Rose/Canyon are lighter.

Weight not being the be all & end all, it still helps when climbing.

I suspect the Cube to be lighter than a Comp grade Giant & on a par with Advanced grade Giants *could be wrong* i don't have evidence.

OP
OP
C

Chris Long

Ah thanks, that's interesting . Maybe why giant don't quote a weight. That may sway me towards cube you know. I'm looking at the 2015 agree gtc pro now, which is about the same price (the giant is reduced everywhere to about 1150 from 1800)

And after a 300 quid carrera with over 2500 miles I really don't think I will tell much difference between shimano 105 and ultegra...

Top Bottom